HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » 2nd firefighter found dea...

Fri Feb 21, 2020, 04:27 PM

2nd firefighter found dead in California library fire allegedly started by 13-year-olds

2nd firefighter found dead in California library fire allegedly started by 13-year-olds

The fire erupted Tuesday at the city library in Porterville, California.

By Emily Shapiro
February 20, 2020, 2:12 PM 5 min read

A second firefighter has been found dead in a powerful arson blaze that ripped through a California library, leaving a fire department in mourning.

The fire -- allegedly started by two 13-year-old boys -- erupted Tuesday at the city library in Porterville, about 80 miles southeast of Fresno, authorities said.

The books and furniture ignited quickly, making the fire especially difficult to fight, officials said. The blaze eventually caused the ceiling to collapse into the building, officials said.

Two 13-year-old boys "did start the fire intentionally," Porterville Police Chief Eric Kroutil said at a news conference Thursday. "This is a homicide case." ... The boys were booked as juveniles on charges of arson, conspiracy and manslaughter, he said. ... Police will meet with prosecutors Thursday afternoon to determine "what is next in the process," Kroutil said.

3 replies, 787 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 2nd firefighter found dead in California library fire allegedly started by 13-year-olds (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Feb 2020 OP
Sherman A1 Feb 2020 #1
Dem2theMax Feb 2020 #2
ailsagirl Feb 2020 #3

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Fri Feb 21, 2020, 05:14 PM

1. Sad

for both the families of the firefighters and the community. I hope that justice is served.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 21, 2020, 10:48 PM

2. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Everyone in California knows that firefighters are our heroes. What in the world is wrong with these kids to put those men in danger like this?

I don't care how old they are. I hope they throw the book at them.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 29, 2020, 11:41 PM

3. I'm furious & sad both

Heartsick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread