HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Gov. Newsom Keeps Lockdow...

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 03:56 AM

Gov. Newsom Keeps Lockdown in Place as California Suffers Deadliest Day of Pandemic

In California, Governor Gavin Newsom said Thursday his state had suffered its “deadliest day” of the pandemic, with 115 deaths in 24 hours. Newsom said it’s still much too soon to end social distancing policies.

Gov. Gavin Newsom: “I know there’s deep desire. People are making calls on an hourly basis saying it’s time to open back up. Consider the deadliest day in the state of California within the last 24 hours, 8.5% percent increase in the total number of deaths. We saw 5.6% increase in the total number of people tested positive in the state of California.”

Despite the grim numbers, California has suffered far fewer per capita deaths from COVID-19, after public health officials moved earlier than other states to order residents to remain at home while the virus began its spread.

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/4/24/headlines/gov_newsom_keeps_lockdown_in_place_as_california_suffers_deadliest_day_of_pandemic

6 replies, 866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gov. Newsom Keeps Lockdown in Place as California Suffers Deadliest Day of Pandemic (Original post)
TexasTowelie Apr 2020 OP
TruckFump Apr 2020 #1
Magoo48 Apr 2020 #3
TruckFump Apr 2020 #4
dhill926 Apr 2020 #5
quaint Apr 2020 #2
TruckFump Apr 2020 #6

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 07:47 AM

1. As a California resident, I am so thankful for Gov. Newsom.

It could have been so much worse.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TruckFump (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 09:51 AM

3. Glad i live here as well.

Reply to this post

Response to Magoo48 (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 09:58 AM

4. 👍 IMO, he has saved lives.

Stood up, took protective measures, and did not back off.

Reply to this post

Response to TruckFump (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 12:31 PM

5. I'm with ya...

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 09:47 AM

2. California effort will employ restaurantworkers to provide meals for seniors amid coronavirus crisis

L.A. Times

Gov. Gavin Newsom said the state will soon launch a far-reaching program to provide three meals a day to California seniors in need during the COVID-19 pandemic, partnering with local officials to employ out-of-work restaurant workers with funding largely provided by the federal government.

“This partnership will allow for the ability for restaurants to start rehiring people, or keep people currently employed, and start preparing meals — three meals a day, seven days a week — and have those meals delivered to our seniors, all throughout the state of California,” Newsom said Friday. <>

Governor Newsom is awesome.

Reply to this post

Response to quaint (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 02:58 PM

6. This is great.

I know of at least one Senior in her 80s that can certainly use this service. She is nearly blind and low income. I am going to make sure she knows about it. If she needs help to sign up, I will make sure she gets this service. A friend and I both read about this yesterday and our first thought was about this same person.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread