HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Airbnb to cut almost 1,90...

Wed May 6, 2020, 06:33 AM

Airbnb to cut almost 1,900 jobs due to the 'most harrowing crisis'

Airbnb said Tuesday it will cut almost 1,900 jobs as the short-term home rental company deals with the fallout from a travel industry wracked by upheaval stemming from the coronavirus pandemic.

Brian Chesky, Airbnb’s chief executive and co-founder, made the announcement in a letter sent to company employees, and posted on the Airbnb website. While not mentioning coronavirus or COVID-19 by name, Chesky left no doubt about what was behind the decision to shed approximately 25% off Airbnb’s 7,500 jobs.

“We are collectively living through the most harrowing crisis of our lifetime, and as it began to unfold, global travel came to a standstill,” said Chesky, who added that San Francisco-based Airbnb expects its revenue this year to be less than half the amount it took in during 2019.

Chesky said that the coronavirus crisis has created a situation in which “we don’t know exactly when travel will return,” and “when travel does return, it will look different.”

Read more: https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/05/05/coronavirus-airbnb-to-cut-almost-1900-jobs-due-to-the-most-harrowing-crisis/

2 replies, 515 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Airbnb to cut almost 1,900 jobs due to the 'most harrowing crisis' (Original post)
TexasTowelie May 2020 OP
Indykatie May 2020 #1
VarryOn May 2020 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed May 6, 2020, 08:14 AM

1. Am I The Only One Surprised That Airbnb Has 7500 Employees?

That's a lot of bodies.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Indykatie (Reply #1)

Wed May 6, 2020, 10:04 AM

2. I had the same thought! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread