HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » I'm interested in your f...

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 01:51 PM

I'm interested in your feedback about your governor, Gavin Newsome, given the fire emergency.

I'm interested in knowing more about his performance so far during this emergency and whether he is interested in national office some day. Or would his ex wife be some kind of haunting banshee on our national stage once more, which nobody wants to see.

Thanks!

14 replies, 668 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to CTyankee (Original post)

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 02:00 PM

1. He was a good mayor and I have confidence in how he is handling the CV response and fires

I think his ex is pissed she is not with him anymore.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kimbutgar (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 02:06 PM

3. I think she's crazy. No, really.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 02:06 PM

2. First of all, it's Newsom, and he wants to be president

My take is heís a bit of an empty suit, but perhaps thatís unfair since he had to follow Jerry Brown, and has to stand next to other West Coast governors like Jay Inslee and Kate Brown.

Reply to this post

Response to Fiendish Thingy (Reply #2)

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 02:10 PM

4. Sorry, my bad on the spelling. Thanks for the correction and also your feedback.

He reminds me a bit of my governor, Ned Lamont, who is soft spoken and very successful at governing CT and getting us thru the Covid crisis extremely well.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 02:11 PM

5. He is doing a good job

under difficult circumstances. Jerry Brown was perhaps the best governor ever. Hard shoes to fill but Governor Newsom comes close. The haunting banshee can be put out to pasture once the tRumpfunks are gone.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 04:25 PM

6. He's doing his job and not drawing attention to himself

And that's exactly what he should do. Support firefighting efforts, reassure residents, secure funding, work to preempt further disaster, plan for recovery.

This is a no-win, nightmare scenario for any elected politician. No one is expecting him to bat 1000%.

Guilfoyle? She'll be rendered irrelevant by Jennifer Siebel Newsom.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #6)

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 07:38 PM

7. The flip side to the disaster is opportunity to show leadership of a huge number of people.

We have such a large reservoir of talent in our party. And leaders who get things done for the people. Our governor is good, too. But I don't think he has any larger political designs.

As for Guilfoyle, she was such a shrieking witch at the repuke convention I was shocked when I saw a clip of her. It was scary when she shrieked "The best is yet to come!" I'm truly afraid of her.

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #7)

Sat Sep 12, 2020, 08:24 PM

8. Totally agree about Newsom

Assuming Harris gets the presidential nomination in 2024, Newsom wouldn't theoretically be in the plans until 2032. I guess when he's termed out as governor he could run for senate ... or Harris' running mate in 2024!

IMO Guilfoyle was playing to an audience ... an act for the benefit MAGATs. I expect her to fade like Sarah Palin.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #8)

Sun Sep 13, 2020, 12:14 PM

10. While I love Harris, I think two Californians on the ticket might be a problem (not for me but

those who say tickets should be balanced geographically).

Of course, Newsom may have no designs on higher office.

I like the Michigan governor more.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 13, 2020, 09:28 AM

9. I sometimes watch his press conferences

I always feel better. He's smart, compassionate, and facing the crisis as possible. I like and respect his current wife.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 13, 2020, 07:57 PM

11. I think he's doing great

I especially loved it when last year he took the monster PG&E on, pulling no punches.

Amid widespread power cuts, California Gov. Gavin Newsom slammed the giant bankrupt power company Pacific Gas & Electric on Thursday, criticizing it for "greed" and "mismanagement" and pledging to "get this utility into the 21st century" as it reorganizes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/10/10/newsom-slams-pge-greed-mismanagement-power-cuts/3937911002/

greed
mismanagement

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 09:56 AM

12. Love him and our First Partner.

Unprecedented, challenging times. I think California is in good hands.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 04:20 PM

13. California has a well oiled response machine that has been taxed, but performing wonderfully

Gavin Newsome, if he was a newsman, would be nominated for a Peabody award for his daily briefings. Hell, maybe two Peabody awards; one for his Covid-19 reporting, and one for the fire briefings.

It's been said Gavin Newsome has some skeletons in his closets, but I'll be damned if I know what they are; his close connection with the Getty family is essentially a nonstarter

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 14, 2020, 05:28 PM

14. Competent politician. We could use more of them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread