HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Florida (Group) » Disenfranchised voters

Wed Nov 21, 2018, 03:12 PM

Disenfranchised voters

About 3.5 million Floridians were disenfranchised this past election – and we’re not talking about convicted felons.

They are “No Party Affiliation” voters – people who don’t want to register as Democrat or Republican. They are Florida’s fastest growing political group – more than a quarter of the state’s registered voters.

Florida law locks them out of primary elections, including the races for key leadership roles (governor, U.S. Senate) this past August.

Because the state employs a “closed primary” system, independent and No Party Affiliation (NPA) voters are banned from participating.

more at [link:https://www.floridaphoenix.com/2018/11/21/more-than-a-quarter-of-florida-voters-are-disenfranchised-and-its-not-who-you-might-think/|

4 replies, 1422 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Disenfranchised voters (Original post)
Geechie Nov 2018 OP
brush Nov 2018 #1
murielm99 Nov 2018 #2
hay rick Nov 2018 #3
csziggy Nov 2018 #4

Response to Geechie (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2018, 03:38 PM

1. They can vote in the general election though, right?

I for one am not in favor of open primaries as I feel Democrats should decide who wins Democratic primaries.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brush (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 21, 2018, 05:14 PM

2. Let them change the law

so independents can vote in primaries.

I, too, want closed primaries. No open primaries, no caucuses!

Reply to this post

Response to Geechie (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2018, 07:34 PM

3. NPAs are not disenfranchised. They opt out.

Last edited Wed Nov 21, 2018, 09:43 PM - Edit history (1)

They have opted out of voting in most partisan primary contests. In Florida they are still able to vote in nonpartisan races, judicial races, for or against referendums and amendments, and in partisan "universal primaries" on primary day.

Folks who don't want to identify with a party or be identified with a party should understand that they are also surrendering the opportunity to help shape that party.

Reply to this post

Response to hay rick (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 23, 2018, 09:35 PM

4. This

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread