HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Kansas (Group) » On the flip side of Kansa...

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:20 AM

On the flip side of Kansas ballots they show Judges and ask "be retained for office?"

After some exhaustive investigative journalism, found 2 appointed by brownback so gave them a big NO. the 2
are Kathryn Gardner and David Bruns, time to unpack the courts where we can.

6 replies, 872 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply On the flip side of Kansas ballots they show Judges and ask "be retained for office?" (Original post)
KS Toronado Oct 17 OP
tblue37 Oct 17 #1
hlthe2b Oct 17 #2
FoxNewsSucks Oct 22 #5
wcmagumba Oct 17 #3
Lulu KC Oct 17 #4
Maxheader Oct 30 #6

Response to KS Toronado (Original post)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 02:47 AM

1. Thanks. I'm going to vote next week, and you just saved me some time. I always check out the

judges to avoid endorsing rightwingers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:05 AM

2. In Colorado, the Bar Assoc. ranks those up for retention. All got a "retain" assessment BUT

only one failed to get a unanimous vote. That, being the ONLY Hispanic judge who got 6/10 after addressing some additional "training" to address some perceived deficiencies. Well, my instinct might have been to vote "no retain," but seeing he was Hispanic and the only one on the slate of judges up for retention votes made me take the time to research. All I found could readily have been subjective complaints by lawyers in his court and I could not find anything that referred to controversial opinions, so I voted to retain.

It is really hard to assess these "retention votes" and that is why so many just blanket vote "yes" or leave them blank. An elderly friend of mine, normally very politically astute just votes "no" on all of them, while his wife votes "yes." While that seems very silly to me, I'd bet a lot of people do so.

It really is not a great system, IMO.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 05:19 PM

5. Before I paid attention to politics,

I was somewhat anti-incumbent, and voted "remove" on everyone.

Now I have to remember to look up in advance who appointed them, and keep in mind who would be appointing their replacement. In 2018 I forgot, and had to google every name to find out who appointed them. Fortunately it wasn't too busy that day so I didn't hold up the line.

Ballotpedia.org has the current ballot, and each judge can be clicked on to see their record and who appointed me. I wish I'd found that website sooner.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 10:20 AM

4. Thanks!

You saved me some time for my mail-in ballot. Hubby is doing early voting right now--sent him copy of your post via text.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 05:37 AM

6. Rationalizing the only good winger politico...

Is one that loses elections...I sometimes miss good people..Rather

error on the side of caution..straight blue.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread