HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Louisiana (Group) » Trump's NAFTA renegotiati...

Sun May 21, 2017, 12:46 PM

Trump's NAFTA renegotiation, local rice farmers concerned

KLFY News (Lafayette)

ACADIA PARISH, La. (KLFY) – Thursday congress was officially notified the Trump administration plans to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement, and local rice farmers are concerned.

“When we heard about this, all the commodities, rice in particular we were really really concerned. Because anytime you mess with your biggest customer you don’t want to alienate any relationships you’ve formed,” Jackie Loewer said.

The NAFTA trade agreement is between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

A deal rice farmer Jackie Loewer said has been working well for local farmers.

“NAFTA is very important because of the two countries in NAFTA, Canada and Mexico. Mexico is our largest export market so that’s significant. And when you start messing with that, and it’s been working over the years so we want to make sure we maintain what we have.”

3 replies, 4075 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump's NAFTA renegotiation, local rice farmers concerned (Original post)
Jimbo101 May 2017 OP
riversedge May 2017 #1
Jimbo101 May 2017 #2
murielm99 May 2017 #3

Response to Jimbo101 (Original post)

Sun May 21, 2017, 01:31 PM

1. I hope the farmers will continue to be able to export their crops

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to riversedge (Reply #1)

Sun May 21, 2017, 01:55 PM

2. I do too -

And I hope that Farmers that voted for Trump - realize that Elections have Consequences.

Next door in Texas (which does almost a $100 billion in annual trade with Mexico) - possible similar consequences.

Dallas News

Reply to this post

Response to Jimbo101 (Original post)

Sun May 21, 2017, 07:51 PM

3. Just like the corn farmers.

I tried to ask our local repiggie Congressman about this at a town hall meeting. I expressed concern over our trade relations with Mexico. We live in a rural district with many farmers.

The repiggie congressman set up a straw man and turned my question into an answer about drugs coming into this country from Mexico. He is a shit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread