HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Louisiana (Group) » Inside John Bel Edwards' ...

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 05:53 AM

Inside John Bel Edwards' reelection: How Louisiana's 'accidental' governor held off Eddie Rispone

Early one Sunday morning in October, four political advisers passed through the white front doors of the Governor’s Mansion.

Gov. John Bel Edwards was waiting in the foyer.

As they began to follow him to his office, first lady Donna Edwards interrupted from the dining room.

“Do you want breakfast?” she called out.

“No,” the governor replied, answering for the advisers. They didn’t have time for breakfast. They had work to do.

Read more: https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/elections/article_78e7548a-0d72-11ea-8539-6bde9b254795.html

3 replies, 1103 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Inside John Bel Edwards' reelection: How Louisiana's 'accidental' governor held off Eddie Rispone (Original post)
TexasTowelie Nov 2019 OP
Post removed Nov 2019 #1
rampartc Nov 2019 #2
femmedem Nov 2019 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 06:52 AM

2. this is a great article

reporter tyler bridges did his homework.

1. rispone ran the dirtiest campaign ads that I have ever seen, some so entirely over the top that not even the the republican base could believe them. rispone had plenty of money and used it on tv advertising.
2. rispone went low on Abraham in the primary. I was wondering if that might cost him in the run off. seems like it did.
3. edwards' reputation is clean and competent. this is so rare in Louisiana politics as to be notable.
4. personal observation : the black voters of orleans parish did not turn out for the primary. a lot of activists worked to turn that around in the run off. it worked.
5. Jefferson parish, the suburban white flight communities that elected scalise, Vitter, jindal, and duke went 60% Edwards. this is the most populous parish in the state.
6. trump came on too strong. I think he (and I) overestimated his influence on the evangelicals.
7. if there is a great trump economy (i'm skeptical) it does not seem to have reached us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 25, 2019, 08:37 AM

3. Thanks for posting. A cautionary tale about going negative on primary opponents

and the importance of a targeted GOTV effort.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread