HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Missouri (Group) » Missouri Teachers Say Pay...

Tue May 14, 2019, 07:37 PM

Missouri Teachers Say Pay Is Biggest Reason They Quit

Low pay is the top reason teachers leave the classroom, a new survey of Missouri public school educators found.

The state’s Department of Elementary and Secondary Education asked 6,000 teachers, principals and administrators what makes them keep teaching and what makes them quit. The results were shared at Tuesday’s State Board of Education meeting.

Salary was top of mind when it came to recruitment and retention of teachers.

“This is pretty powerful data,” said state school board president Charlie Shields. “This cuts across every single group that you surveyed, who said this is the number one issue.”

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/missouri-teachers-say-pay-biggest-reason-they-quit

2 replies, 764 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Missouri Teachers Say Pay Is Biggest Reason They Quit (Original post)
Sherman A1 May 2019 OP
BigmanPigman May 2019 #1
Sherman A1 May 2019 #2

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Tue May 14, 2019, 07:51 PM

1. Low teachers' salaries dates back 100 years.

It is an accepted fact by Americans at this point. Part of the reasoning for low pay is due to the overwhelming number of women in the profession. Maybe if Yang wins that fact will change.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1287119090

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #1)

Wed May 15, 2019, 04:09 AM

2. I hope that whoever wins Teacher Pay increases

although I see AI along with Distance Learning changing this field as well and I suspect that we will see fewer teaching positions available in the future.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread