HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Missouri (Group) » With Stores Gone, Farmers...

Sun May 26, 2019, 06:48 AM

With Stores Gone, Farmers Market To Fill Void In North St. Louis Food Desert

When several Shop N Save grocery stores closed last year in north St. Louis, residents in some neighborhoods were left without easy access to healthy produce.

A local nonprofit organization, A Red Circle, aims to fill the void with a monthly community farmers market that does more than just sell fresh food.

Its going to be a very cool farmers market with a purpose, Red Circle founder and CEO Erica Williams said.

The Red Circle Healthy Community Market will kick off today at Zion Travelers Missionary Baptist Church in Riverview. Organizers plan to hold the market every last Saturday of the month through the end of summer.

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/stores-gone-farmers-market-fill-void-north-st-louis-food-desert

2 replies, 766 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply With Stores Gone, Farmers Market To Fill Void In North St. Louis Food Desert (Original post)
Sherman A1 May 2019 OP
Cirque du So-What May 2019 #1
Sherman A1 May 2019 #2

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Sun May 26, 2019, 07:32 AM

1. That's terrific

but what about the rest of the year? Unless local hydroponic produce is available year-round, a huge need goes unmet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #1)

Sun May 26, 2019, 08:17 AM

2. As to the rest of the year

I cant say. I guess one does the best they can where they can with what is available.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread