HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Montana (Group) » GOP lawmaker proposes to ...

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 06:04 AM

GOP lawmaker proposes to create child support requirement for food stamps

Jessica Hardingís story didnít start out with poverty, she told lawmakers on the House Human Services Committee on Thursday.

But thatís the situation she was thrust into during the pandemic, out of work for the second time in recent years and in the midst of a six-month wait for unemployment to hit. Though she once made in excess of $80,000 a year, she was now relying on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, better known as SNAP or food stamps, to feed her family. SNAP was a godsend, she said, as she could not receive cash assistance from the government because she refused to pursue child support payments from her sonís father, a necessary requirement for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families payments.

The father her son had never met was abusive, to her and to other children, and in the depths of drug addiction, she said.

ďFiling for child support would make him fight for custody to ease his financial burden, but ultimately would put my child in danger,Ē she told lawmakers.

Read more: https://dailymontanan.com/2021/02/19/gop-lawmaker-proposes-to-create-child-support-requirement-for-food-stamps/

2 replies, 2246 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP lawmaker proposes to create child support requirement for food stamps (Original post)
TexasTowelie Feb 2021 OP
NCjack Feb 2021 #1
OldBaldy1701E Feb 2021 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 08:48 AM

1. QOPers hate America's moms and their children.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NCjack (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 09:00 AM

2. Well

When the moms are pregnant and they can be used for political issue, then they love them. Once the kid is born, then they could care less about either of them.

How are things down NC way? My mom over in Chowan Co. says she is done with rain!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread