HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » New York (Group) » Pet cougar rescued from B...

Tue Aug 31, 2021, 04:47 AM

Pet cougar rescued from Bronx home: 'Eventually something bad would have happened'

That’s one less cougar on the prowl.

Animal rescue authorities said an 80-pound pet cougar was surrendered last week by its owner, who called a sanctuary after realizing the big city was no place for a big cat.

The Humane Society of the United States and the state Department of Environmental Conservation teamed up with the NYPD to remove the 11-month-old cougar from a Bronx home after the owner called for help.

Authorities took the cougar to the Bronx Zoo for safekeeping until veterinarians from an Arkansas-based wildlife refuge arrived to transport it to their sanctuary.

“They came to the realization that this cougar is getting large, and it is dangerous,” said Emily McCormack, animal curator for the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge. “Those claws and those teeth and the pressure of the bite. You cannot take the wild out of these animals. Eventually something bad would have happened.”

Read more: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-cougar-bronx-home-removed-to-sanctuary-20210830-2uh7msghdvh5lmx2vhjyrfhdga-story.html

6 replies, 1221 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pet cougar rescued from Bronx home: 'Eventually something bad would have happened' (Original post)
TexasTowelie Aug 31 OP
Rhiannon12866 Aug 31 #1
multigraincracker Aug 31 #2
Rhiannon12866 Aug 31 #3
multigraincracker Aug 31 #6
CousinIT Aug 31 #4
ailsagirl Aug 31 #5

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Aug 31, 2021, 04:56 AM

1. I used to visit the Western North Carolina Nature Center with my grandmother

It's a sanctuary for wild animals who can no longer live on their own. There were several big cats there - most had been "pets." How can anyone be so clueless??

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #1)

Tue Aug 31, 2021, 05:23 AM

2. Wild animals make terrible pets.

Cruel and dangerous

Reply to this post

Response to multigraincracker (Reply #2)

Tue Aug 31, 2021, 05:29 AM

3. Well, I had a mouse, frogs and a turtle when I was a kid

The mouse I bought in a store and my Dad had us set the turtle free in an artists' colony with woods and a stream. I like to think he's still there. But anyone who decides to make a pet out of a big cat is just asking for trouble. My domestic cat who I found as a kitten in a supermarket parking lot is wild enough.

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #3)

Tue Aug 31, 2021, 09:05 AM

6. My ex was a rehabber and had two "pet" bobcats.

They were wild when she got them and she socialized them so they could not be released. So they were educational animals. Not socializes enough. One was untouchable and the other was dangerous and lived in the house. That was illegal. Had a fox or two also. Trust me not good pets.

There is a feral tom cat outside my house that I feed. After several months, I petted his head yesterday. He is a domestic breed. Not going to be in the house and I hope he stays out the road.

Having exotic and wild animals is more about the person and not the critter.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 31, 2021, 06:21 AM

4. Stupid people should have known a cougar is not a 'pet'. They are wild animals and I wish...

...people would leave them in the wild and protect their habitat and leave them be.

But there are always selfish, greedy IDIOTS.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 31, 2021, 06:26 AM

5. Dammit!!

I wish people would stop doing stupid-ass things like this!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread