HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Oregon (Group) » Are homeless villages the...

Sat Jul 15, 2017, 03:51 AM

Are homeless villages the solution?

Helping to build the homeless village where he lives has given Bob Brimmer's life focus, he says.

More than that, living there has helped him heal from a tough childhood that included stays in homeless shelters and in subsidized housing in upstate New York.

"My dad died when I was in ninth grade from a drug-induced heart attack, and then my mom lived in Section 8 housing," says Brimmer, who has an associate's degree in math and science.

Before Brimmer came to the West Coast he was "couch surfing" with friends, but they lost their apartments, so he used his last tax return to buy a three-day Greyhound ticket to Portland. He had no place to stay when he got here.

Read more: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/365937-246006-are-homeless-villages-the-solution

1 replies, 1579 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Are homeless villages the solution? (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jul 2017 OP
LWolf Jul 2017 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Jul 24, 2017, 04:32 PM

1. They can be one part of the solution.

Health care, mental and physical; a way to eat; I'm sure there's more. There's never any one solution, but I'm happy to provide the homeless with safe shelter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread