HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Oregon (Group) » People of color won't be ...

Thu Jun 25, 2020, 06:22 AM

People of color won't be required to wear masks in an Oregon county

From https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/oregon-county-people-of-color-mask-trnd/index.html

(CNN)People of color are exempt from an Oregon county's mask mandate over concerns about racial profiling.

By Scottie Andrew, CNN

Updated 7:15 PM ET, Wed June 24, 2020

Lincoln County, Oregon, requires most residents to wear face coverings in public settings, indoors or outdoors. The overwhelmingly White county will not require non-White residents to wear them if they fear harassment, the county said this month.

It's one of the first counties in the US to exempt people of color from wearing masks to prevent racial profiling.

Also exempt are people with disabilities or medical conditions whose breathing would be obstructed by a mask and children under 12, though children ages 2 through 12 are still encouraged to cover their faces.

[...]

5 replies, 1121 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply People of color won't be required to wear masks in an Oregon county (Original post)
sl8 Jun 2020 OP
Afromania Jun 2020 #1
agingdem Jun 2020 #2
LizBeth Jun 2020 #3
MichMan Jun 2020 #4
flying rabbit Jun 2020 #5

Response to sl8 (Original post)

Thu Jun 25, 2020, 06:49 AM

1. ???????

We just cant stop ourselves from racially profiling you. So, since we cant do that you shouldn't wear a mask. Now assuming you do wear a mask we are going to racially profile you. I know its still early i the day, plenty of chances for them to make this seem even more insane.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jun 25, 2020, 06:56 AM

2. Is this for real?

this isnít a page out of a nazi playbook is it?

Reply to this post

Response to agingdem (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 25, 2020, 11:52 AM

3. I think Or. is trying to be sensitive to blacks plight. I suggested that since POC seem consistently

to be more responsible wearing the mask and since they are a higher risk, that we fuckin' do not allow POC to be in a position of being harassed and if we see it, do a body block and tell the white person to knock it the fuck off, instead of risking POC's health and desire to be responsible.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 25, 2020, 10:21 PM

4. Even though POC are in more risk of serious health issues from the virus

feel free to not wear a mask while we make sure that white people are protected by requiring they wear one.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 26, 2020, 11:28 PM

5. They got rid of it.

Stupid idea. Well meaning, but clueless.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread