HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Oregon (Group) » A year into online school...

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 06:31 AM

A year into online school, more of Salem's youngest students are struggling to read

Fewer Salem elementary school students are on track to read proficiently by third grade than one year ago, according to data shared with the Salem-Keizer School Board last week. The same data also show particular difficulties for special education students and those learning English, including native Spanish speakers assessed in Spanish.

District administrators presented the data, which measures second gradersí ability to read a passage of text. Itís one of the data points district administrators track and report annually to the school board, and provides a glimpse at the challenges the districtís youngest students face as they return to in-person classes on Tuesday

Educators said the data point is a key indicator for students being able to read and understand schoolwork moving forward and success in other subjects.

ďIf kids are struggling at that point, itís going to be really difficult for them to transition into higher level demands,Ē said Suzanne West, the districtís director of elementary curriculum and instruction, in an interview with Salem Reporter.

Read more: https://www.salemreporter.com/posts/3758/a-year-into-online-school-more-of-salems-youngest-students-are-struggling-to-read

8 replies, 1107 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 07:03 AM

1. Yes, I've seen this firsthand in my school. Distance learning is not a replacement for

in-person. Itís useful in some ways, but will never fully match up to me being able to work directly with my student.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to GPV (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 07:09 AM

2. Distance learning may be adequate for snow days or localized outbreaks of the flu or some other

communicable disease, but the amount of missed instructional time needs to be brief It is not a long term solution.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 08:37 AM

3. It's really difficult to be a good student without a foundation in reading

I for whatever reason never learned to read correctly and itís followed me. Oh I can read, but comprehension is abysmal at best. It was something in my foundation that was lacking and you never get it back. I truly feel for these students!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 08:55 AM

4. Why aren't parents teacing their kids to read?

Reply to this post

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 09:00 AM

5. Some of the children are in foreign language homes where the parents may have weak

backgrounds in English. If the parents also are from poor educational backgrounds, then they may not value the necessity of learning or teaching.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #5)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 09:06 AM

6. Well, that's true

Still, I'd like to think they could learn together.

Reply to this post

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #6)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 10:15 AM

7. Not all parents have the foundational skills. Some school dropped phonics

in favor of whole language at one time, so parents missing that piece wonít be much help if their child needs to learn to decode.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 11:40 AM

8. This is why we have summer school

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread