HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Home schooling, rapture f...

Mon Nov 2, 2015, 02:25 AM

Home schooling, rapture figure into Texas Supreme Court case

AUSTIN — Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears Monday that could have broad implications on the nation’s booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

At issue: Where do religious liberty and parental rights to educate one’s children stop and obligations to ensure home-schooled students ever actually learn something begin?

“Parents should be allowed to decide how to educate their children, not whether to educate their children,” said Rachel Coleman, executive director of the Massachusetts-based Coalition for Responsible Home Education.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20151101-home-schooling-rapture-figure-into-texas-supreme-court-case.ece

1 replies, 759 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Home schooling, rapture figure into Texas Supreme Court case (Original post)
TexasTowelie Nov 2015 OP
yeoman6987 Nov 2015 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Nov 2, 2015, 04:11 AM

1. Oh definitely. They need to be effective if the parents want to be homeschool

I know parents who were successful with it. Kids graduate Ivy's and some that don't do well. We need a gage at least. I am not totally against homeschooling because it does not take from funding like charters do. Secondly a lot of schools are overcrowded and some students end up in overflow trailers. However, some regulations need placed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread