HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » RICK PERRY CONTROVERSY: H...

Wed May 1, 2013, 08:11 PM

RICK PERRY CONTROVERSY: Houston cartoonist Nick Anderson responds to dust-up over fertilizer-plant c

By Michael Cavna

NOW A TEXAS CARTOONIST has weighed in on the Ohman/Perry controversy.

Nick Anderson, the Pulitzer-winning political cartoonist for the Houston Chronicle, rendered his commentary Tuesday, in which Texas Gov. Rick Perry is depicted as getting more outraged over a cartoon — by Sacramento Bee cartoonist Jack Ohman — than the actual oversight and regulation issues involving the West, Tex., fertilizer plant that exploded last month, killing at least 15 and injuring scores more.

Last Thursday, Ohman drew a cartoon that criticized Perry’s pro-business stance that involves lower regulations, tying the governor’s approach to the explosion. In a Letter to the Editor of the Bee published the next day, Perry called Ohman’s cartoon a “detestable attempt at satire” and demanded an apology; the newspaper has not apologized.

Asked to share the thinking behind his cartoon, Anderson tells Comic Riffs: “I just have a question: Why do people seem more offended by a cartoon than they are by the lax regulatory climate that likely contributed to or even caused this tragedy?

“Jack’s cartoon was clearly motivated by a desire to protect life, not to mock the loss of life that is more likely in an atmosphere of open hostility to government regulation.

more”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/rick-perry-controversy-houston-cartoonist-nick-anderson-responds-to-dust-up-over-fertilizer-plant-cartoon/2013/05/01/f3ed2b26-b290-11e2-9a98-4be1688d7d84_blog.html

5 replies, 1186 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply RICK PERRY CONTROVERSY: Houston cartoonist Nick Anderson responds to dust-up over fertilizer-plant c (Original post)
white cloud May 2013 OP
MotherPetrie May 2013 #1
DhhD May 2013 #2
LeftInTX May 2013 #3
Javaman May 2013 #4
sonias May 2013 #5

Response to white cloud (Original post)

Wed May 1, 2013, 08:18 PM

1. K&R Thanks for posting this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 1, 2013, 08:21 PM

2. I think I hear the toilet running. Won't be long before that stinker is finally flushed down.

Reply to this post

Wed May 1, 2013, 09:05 PM

3. Gov Hair, put your head in the sand!!

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 09:20 AM

4. moron perry chooses to go after the sensationalism rather than deal with problems.

I so can't wait until that fucking moron of a gov is out of office.

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:56 PM

5. Excellent

Editorial cartoonists can still tell the truth.

Hats off to Nick Anderson who has always been a straight shooter!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread