Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search
10 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Why is Marianne Williamson's name first on the Virginia Democratic ballot? (Original Post) phylny Jan 2024 OP
Ladies first for Dems? IronLionZion Jan 2024 #1
I have no doubt our side can figure out who to vote for. phylny Jan 2024 #2
Maybe they are listed in the order they filed as candidates? Ocelot II Jan 2024 #3
I'm not aware of any state using that method. LiberalFighter Jan 2024 #8
I'm not either; just a wild guess. I don't know how any of them do it. Ocelot II Jan 2024 #9
Generally they draw names LiberalFighter Jan 2024 #10
In AZ they are randomly assigned to avoid favoring any candidate AZSkiffyGeek Jan 2024 #4
Just a question! phylny Jan 2024 #5
It looks like the names were drawn. Thanks for the help, I used the wrong search terms. phylny Jan 2024 #6
probably a ballot draw. yellowdogintexas Jan 2024 #7

IronLionZion

(45,727 posts)
1. Ladies first for Dems?
Mon Jan 22, 2024, 05:57 PM
Jan 2024

Nikki Haley is last on the GOP side.

I think our side can figure out who to vote for.

phylny

(8,403 posts)
6. It looks like the names were drawn. Thanks for the help, I used the wrong search terms.
Mon Jan 22, 2024, 06:13 PM
Jan 2024

Here's one of the reasons I was asking:

https://vadogwood.com/2021/04/01/state-board-of-elections-selects-ballot-order-certifies-election/

The Ballot Order Effect

The positioning of names on a ballot might sound like an insignificant detail, but studies show elections can be won or lost based on the location of a candidates name. This phenomenon is called the “ballot order effect.”

In 1975, the American Journal of Political Science published a report called “The Effect of Ballot Position on Electoral Success.”

The findings, which originated from a controlled experimental study, assessed the impact of name identification, the length of the ballot and the number of candidates on election results.

The study found that those listed first enjoyed a favorable advantage. Interestingly, the number of candidates on the ballot did not appear to impact that finding. However, a low slot on the ballot could be overcome with name recognition, the study found.

yellowdogintexas

(22,300 posts)
7. probably a ballot draw.
Mon Jan 22, 2024, 06:32 PM
Jan 2024

Our candidates draw numbers for their positions on a primary ballot.
Each office is a separate drawing, and each county holds its own drawing.
We always have a party since it is right before Christmas.

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»Region Forums»Virginia»Why is Marianne Williamso...