HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » West Virginia (Group) » Federal magistrate recomm...

Mon Sep 2, 2019, 06:18 AM

Federal magistrate recommends tossing Blankenship's 2015 mine safety conviction

CHARLESTON – In a rare legal move, a federal magistrate says Don Blankenship’s 2016 conviction for conspiring to violate mine safety laws should be tossed out.

In a filing released Aug. 26, Magistrate Omar Aboulhosn said the federal government failed to turn over evidence that could have helped the former Massey Energy CEO’s case.

“It’s obviously good news,” Blankenship told The West Virginia Record. “But still, the U.S. judicial system did what it thought was in its best interest.”

In his filing, Aboulhosn also said he did not find evidence that former U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin nor Assistant U.S. attorney Steve Ruby acted with ulterior motives while prosecuting the case and that they did not have improper motive or malice toward Blankenship.

Read more: https://wvrecord.com/stories/513240763-federal-magistrate-recommends-tossing-blankenship-s-2015-mine-safety-conviction

1 replies, 548 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Federal magistrate recommends tossing Blankenship's 2015 mine safety conviction (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2019 OP
rampartc Sep 2019 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Sep 2, 2019, 06:40 AM

1. the golden rule

"them whats got the gold makes the rules"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread