HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Wisconsin (Group) » Former Columbus mayor ple...

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:58 AM

Former Columbus mayor pleads guilty to bank fraud in real estate development case

COLUMBUS, Wis. (AP) — The former mayor of Columbus has pleaded guilty to bank fraud charges in federal court.

Michael Eisenga was accused of fraudulently obtaining a nearly $7 million loan for a grocery store development in Columbus.

“Unfortunately, it’s all true, your honor,” Eisenga, 49, told U.S. District Judge William Conley at a virtual plea hearing Thursday.

“What I did, your honor, was I created a fake lease showing that there was a lease between a third-party grocery chain and the LLC that owned the grocery store building,” Eisenga said. “And I used that to obtain financing from Alliant Credit Union. I knew at the time that I did that that the lease was a false lease and that I did not, in fact, have a lease with that grocery store chain.”

Read more: https://dailyreporter.com/2021/03/26/former-columbus-mayor-pleads-guilty-to-bank-fraud-in-real-estate-development-case/
(Milwaukee Daily Reporter)

2 replies, 491 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former Columbus mayor pleads guilty to bank fraud in real estate development case (Original post)
TexasTowelie Mar 2021 OP
ZZenith Mar 2021 #1
TexasTowelie Mar 2021 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 03:11 AM

1. Guess which party he's from!

That’s right...

The indictment alleges that Michael Eisenga, who as a major GOP donor about 10 years ago had enlisted state Republican legislators to change state law that would have reduced his child support payments, took out a loan from an Illinois credit union for commercial property in Columbus under false pretenses.

https://www.wiscnews.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/former-columbus-mayor-indicted-on-bank-fraud-charge-over-grocery-store-deal/article_6da7367f-b14e-574e-9deb-16867a7561e7.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ZZenith (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 03:58 AM

2. It does seem like over 90% of the people involved with these types of crime are Republicans.

Reading the article I was surprised that he took responsibility for what he did, but there wasn't any sense of remorse.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread