HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Australia (Group) » Scranton, Pennsylvania, u...

Sun Aug 26, 2018, 12:26 PM

Scranton, Pennsylvania, university building will now bear the name of Australian nun Mary MacKillop

In the wake of a recent grand jury report on years-long cases of abuse and cover-up within Catholic archdioceses across the state of Pennsylvania, a Jesuit university in the northeastern Pennsylvania is renaming several buildings that had formerly borne the names of local bishops now revealed to have played parts in the cover-up.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/accountability/pennsylvania-university-revokes-degrees-given-past-scranton-bishops

McCormick Hall, named for the late Scranton Bishop J. Carroll McCormick, will be renamed MacKillop Hall in honor of St. Mary MacKillop, an Australian nun who became Australia's first saint in 2010. She founded the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart and publicly exposed the sexual abuse of children by a priest.

2 replies, 1868 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Scranton, Pennsylvania, university building will now bear the name of Australian nun Mary MacKillop (Original post)
CBHagman Aug 2018 OP
BigmanPigman Aug 2018 #1
Matilda Aug 2018 #2

Response to CBHagman (Original post)

Sun Aug 26, 2018, 07:32 PM

1. It is a good statrt!

Let's see it continue!!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CBHagman (Original post)

Sun Aug 26, 2018, 10:00 PM

2. Good to hear!

I have wondered how well-known she would be outside Australia. I didn't know much of her until the moves to have her beatified were begun.

Her particular mission was to women and children.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread