HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Australia (Group) » Scientists are growing co...

Mon Aug 3, 2020, 02:55 PM

Scientists are growing colored cotton, the latest in sustainability fashion

Scientists at Australia's national science agency, CSIRO have made headway in sustainable fashion--colored cotton. With their new discovery, it has the potential to transform the global textile industry, as reported by ABC Landline.

The article goes on to say, that while cotton is renewable, recyclable and biodegradable, it still needs to be dyed, and the use of sometimes harmful chemical dyes is considered a blot on the industry's environmental copybook.

The fashion industry plays a large role in the environment, and does more harm than good for the Earth. According to the UN Environment Program, the fashion industry produces 20% of global wastewater and 10 percent of global carbon emissions. Textile dyeing is the second largest polluter of water globally and it take around 2,000 gallons of water to make a typical pair of jeans.

The scientists at CSIRO have been able to genetically modify cotton to make it naturally colored. Perhaps the most fascinating achievement in their research has been the team's work to breed naturally black cotton, which would replace black dyes. Black dyes are the most polluting of textile colors, according to ABC Landline.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/life/style/fashion/article/Scientists-are-growing-colored-cotton-the-latest-15454122.php

5 replies, 757 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Scientists are growing colored cotton, the latest in sustainability fashion (Original post)
TexasTowelie Aug 3 OP
unblock Aug 3 #1
In_The_Wind Aug 3 #2
unblock Aug 3 #3
Thekaspervote Aug 3 #4
Clash City Rocker Aug 3 #5

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Aug 3, 2020, 03:01 PM

1. I'm not interested until they come up with cows that give chocolate milk

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to unblock (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 3, 2020, 03:05 PM

2. As a child I thought brown cows gave us chocolate milk.

Reply to this post

Response to In_The_Wind (Reply #2)

Mon Aug 3, 2020, 03:08 PM

3. Exactly!

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 3, 2020, 03:09 PM

4. There have been some cottons that have some natural colors for a number of years, but sounds

Like they are expanding on it...great!

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 3, 2020, 03:20 PM

5. I was immediately reminded of the Seinfeld bit about seedless watermelon

AIDS, cancer, heart disease? No, Iím going to devote myself to cotton.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread