HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » United Kingdom (Group) » So we are at war with Fra...

Thu May 6, 2021, 08:50 AM

So we are at war with France now? FFS this government is ridiculous.

Seriously? Seriously?

We send 2 navy 'warships' to Jersey in retaliation for some French hyperbole about turning off the power in Jersey if the French fisherman cannot fish in Jersey waters.

They send 2 gunboats to challenge our warships

French fisherman rams British boat.

All of this for fucking fish. FISH.

And the sad thing is this is working. This government sent fucking warships to Jersey to protect the fishing rights as a total and utter distraction to the devastation that Brexit has wrought on the fishing industries on our Islands. The lies they told about taking back control of our waters, not mentioning that it would take a decade and in the meantime fishermen trying to sell their produce into the EU have significant barriers to trade to the point that many are going under. But hey. Lets go to war with France.

6 replies, 763 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply So we are at war with France now? FFS this government is ridiculous. (Original post)
Soph0571 May 6 OP
jpak May 6 #1
muriel_volestrangler May 6 #2
Soph0571 May 6 #4
hlthe2b May 6 #3
Cosmo Blues May 6 #5
T_i_B May 6 #6

Response to Soph0571 (Original post)

Thu May 6, 2021, 09:13 AM

1. They will fart in your general direction etc.

Yup

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 6, 2021, 09:50 AM

2. "Rams"? I can't see that in any report. Are you just predicting it?

What went on with the paperwork is still unclear - each side has their story. But a French minister talked of cutting off electricity to Jersey, which was a dickish move, and the French boats did turn up en masse; according to the Guardian, "the protest was largely peaceful although initially the Commodore Goodwill freight ship was trapped and unable to leave the harbour".

I think the French government are being more arseholes than the British. I don't think it was 'hyperbole' about cutting off the electricity; it was a negotiating move, and a stupid one.

Reply to this post

Thu May 6, 2021, 10:02 AM

3. Post Brexit, this was probably (sadly) all but inevitable, right?

Boris needs deflections...

Reply to this post

Thu May 6, 2021, 12:49 PM

5. England, not the UK

Is not abiding by their agreements, France has every right to do what they did. This time it's the rest of the UK and the EU against England. English brexiteers are about to face what everyone else knew was reality

Reply to this post

Response to Cosmo Blues (Reply #5)

Thu May 6, 2021, 02:02 PM

6. Brexshitters may be cheering the warships on...

... But I don't see how the Royal Navy can stop France flicking a switch and cutting of the electricity in the Channel Islands.

We need proper grown up diplomacy and we need to regain trust from the wider world. Sadly, trustworthiness and good government are concepts despised by the Brexshitters.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread