HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » What did Cristina Fernánd...

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 10:52 AM

What did Cristina Fernández de Kirchner do to earn the nickname

"she-devil"? It's a moniker I often see with headlines from the drudge report.

I assume she did something "anti-american" but I missed what that was, or is it all about the falklands.

Thanks!

13 replies, 3834 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Paul E Ester (Original post)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 10:56 AM

1. I think it's because she's a woman.

Patriarchal societies and Latin America is very patriarchal, don't like strong and powerful women, so they like to put labels on them like "she-devil". Men are just called "the devil" like Hugo Chavez labeled George Bush in front of the UN.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Cleita (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:03 AM

2. My question is not so much about the term, but what she did to become a perceived enemy of the US.

I assume she's actually done something "anti- american" or anti-capitalist to earn the moniker. I don't follow argentine politics very closely. All I have heard about recently were the falklands and their Navy ship getting impounded in Africa.

I know we didn't like Hugo because of his nationalism and nationalizing the oil industry, and relations with Cuba. I wonder if Cristina is following a similar path.

thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to Paul E Ester (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:22 AM

4. I am not so sure she is a perceived enemy of the US

Argentina is serious fucked up right now. The government is failing and looking for any bright shiny object to distract the people, like the Falklands.

The ship being impounded was due to non-payment of bonds. When Argentina restructured its debt and forced a haircut on its creditors, some did not go along. Those creditors had the ship seized. It was later released by the courts. Argentina is currently in court over that debt. It looks like they are not going to pay it, setting the stage for more financial crisis.

Kirchner is barely holding on using very nationalistic themes, but that will not keep her in power when the people are hungry.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #4)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:48 AM

7. I agree, at least she is not high on the enemies list.

Although I suppose the UK takes a different view because of the Falklands than the US does. As far as I can tell, we don't care a fig about the Falklands, except vicariously.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:05 AM

3. It is probably fallacious to suggest it is for some particular reason.

People don't like you, they call you names. It's not because of anything in particular you did, it's because they don't like you. Different people will not like you and call you names for different reasons, and Ms Fernández de Kirchner has many enemies.

Edit: If you just want to know why the US is unhappy with her, that's pretty obvious, she asserted Argentine economic sovereignty. In the US view, these countries ought to accept their subordinate role in our economic arrangements, mercantilism is good for all. Exploitive removal of their natural resources is for the common good. Countries that assert true sovereignty are punished, and Uncle Sugar is quite persistent about it too. Haiti, Cuba, and Venezuela are all on the shit list for essentially the same thing. Haiti has been on the shit list for 200 years.

Reply to this post

Response to bemildred (Reply #3)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:33 AM

5. You are so right about this. The leaders of any nation down there that start serving the

interests of their people instead of ours are in for the Allende treatment. They will be smeared by our propaganda. Their opposition will be backed by us while we encourage them to a coup d' etat. If they hang in there like Hugo Chavez no opportunity will be lost to make them look like murderous dictators even if it's not true.

Reply to this post

Response to Cleita (Reply #5)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:41 AM

6. Thank you.

If you read the history of the Western Hemisphere in any detail, it is pretty obvious that what is going on now is part and parcel of what has been going on since 1492.

Reply to this post

Response to bemildred (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:49 AM

8. What history I got was distorted in favor of the USA, but since

my father worked in Chile for an American company, I got to see what was going on first hand. When I was eighteen years old I met Allende the first time he ran for President at a rally. He didn't win at that time. Frei did. Allende was such a nice man. He took the trouble to meet and greet all the people at the rally. I agreed with all he said in his speech. However, the man I met was not the one who was spoken of around dinner parties in the American company town I lived in down there. I mean you'd think he was the devil incarnate. I have to thank assassinated President Allende for making me look at American/Latin American politics with a very hard and discerning eye.

Reply to this post

Response to Cleita (Reply #8)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:57 AM

9. Yeah, you have to read outside the Western/English box.

Galleano is good. I read lots of Spanish lit. in translation, my espanol is not near good enough, and there is lots of English language history, from 1492 on. But I didn't really start to get it until I started to get into Spanish lit. and enough history so you start to understand the differences, where these countries came from, the sorry way they have been exploited for centuries in the name of "development", and so on. Then it all fits when you look at what is happening now.

If you are assassinating people over money, it's you that are the problem.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 12:15 PM

10. She aligned with the Global South.

Reply to this post

Response to roody (Reply #10)

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 10:46 PM

12. Exactly! And she has absolutely been treated as an "enemy" by the Bush Junta,

by Argentine fascists, by New York billionaire Paul Singer (Romney invested a million dollars in one of his "vulture funds"--Singer is the holder of the 7% remaining Argentine "vulture fund" debt) and I'm sure is considered an "enemy" by the CIA/MIC though I'm not sure about the Obama administration (which has supported Argentina in its court fight with Singer).

--------------------

Here is the best article on Singer and his "vulture fund" menace to Argentina. It is a superb article and an effective, fact-filled counter to the RW lies and distortions above. The details about Argentina are about half down the article--an excellent summary!

Africa and Latin America Still Fight Vulture Funds by Hector Timmerman
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hector-timerman/africa-latin-america-vulture-funds_b_2100827.html

The hostility to Cristina Fernandez goes back to the hostility toward her husband, Nestor Kirchner, who was president before her, and who successfully fought back against the utter destruction of Argentina's economy and society by the World Bank/IMF (controlled by the U.S.). It's the "Shock Doctrine" story: Corrupt, traitorous local political leaders incur debt with ruinous conditions, the 1% rips off most of the money and the poor are left to pay the bill with "austerity" (starvation, loss of all services, destruction of society itself). The loan involve ruinous repayment terms often including required "deregulation" (of banksters, transglobal corporations, resource exploiters, etc.).

Kirchner decided to deliberately default on the loans and renegotiate them on better terms for Argentina. He wanted to put a stop to this kind of ruinous exploitation of Latin America--and was the first, and a very important ally, of Hugo Chavez, who was of a similar mind about northern exploitation/domination of Latin America.

When the Bush Junta sent its dictate down to South American leaders that they "must isolate Chavez," Nestor Kirchner replied, "But he's my brother!" And soon that attitude expanded to Brazil (and its president Lula da Silva) and became a vast new independence and Latin American unity movement in South America. This has had many economic consequences. For instance, it obliterated the World Bank's portfolio in South America. Kirchner, Chavez, da Silva and others went on to form the Bank of the South, to keep development money local and aim it at social justice.

Most of Argentina's creditors (93%) agreed to Kirchner's proposed better terms for Argentina, because Argentina committed to paying its debts on the new terms, and completed those payments in 2006.

--

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006
Argentina announces completion of full repayment of IMF debt

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) - Argentine President Nestor Kirchner's government repaid $9.57 billion US in debt to the International Monetary Fund on Tuesday, a measure officials depicted as a means to help reclaim economic independence.
(MORE)
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x2018697)

--

They didn't object to paying debts--debt is a normal part of governance--just to the usurious and ruinous terms demanded by foreign powers that have been looting and plundering these countries for over a century. The 7% holdouts refused the terms and demanded full payment at highly inflated rates for bonds they bought for pennies (as Timmerman explains in the article). Fernandez refers to the 7% holdouts as the "vulture funds." She is absolutely right. These debts become "commodities" and are bought up very cheap by speculators, who wait until the victim country has rebuilt its economy, then they strike to loot all of that country's gains.

There are some really bad actors in this vulture business--people who are so rich that they can afford to use their billions for far right/fascist purposes, such as bringing down Leftist governments that favor the poor majority. The main bad actor in this case is Paul Singer who is demanding his "pound of flesh" from Argentina--that is, to literally take food out of the mouths of poor chiildren and books out of their hands, so that he can make vast, unearned and unconscionable profits from the work that Argentines and their leaders, Kirchner and Fernandez, have done to overcome and pay off debt and restore their economy and society.

You bet the Vulture Fund owners in this world hate Cristina Fernandez, who is as fierce a fighter for the poor majority as her husband was!

The Bush Junta did everything they could to bring down Kirchner and prevent Fernandez from getting elected after Kirchner died. They even mounted a classic CIA "dirty trick" through Miami, sending a guy named "Guido" through customs at Buenos Aires International with a suitcase packed with U.S. $700,000. He was caught, somehow managed to return to Miami and became "star witness" for a Bushwhack U.S. attorney who claimed that the money was intended from Hugo Chavez to Cristina Fernandez for her presidential campaign. The object was to smear both Chavez and Fernandez. As Venezuela's VP pointed out at the time, if they'd wanted to send money to Fernandez, they wouldn't have taken it through customs; they would have carried it on Chavez's official jet, with diplomatic immunity, the next day when Chavez visited Argentina!

The Bush Junta particularly hated Fernandez for her statement, in her inaugural address, that she would do whatever was necessary to bring about peace in Colombia (suffering a 70 year civil war). The Bush Junta, of course, was doing everything possible to foment war, including giving $7 BILLION in U.S. taxpayer money to the Colombian military, which was doing things like murdering innocent young men and dressing their bodies up like FARC guerillas, to up their body counts; was brutally displacing FIVE MILLION peasant farmers from their lands, and has close ties to rightwing death squads--the scourge of Colombia--who have murdered thousands of labor leaders, teachers, community activists, human rights workers and other advocates of the poor.

The Obama administration is playing a foxier game in Latin American than the Bush Junta--but it's still a corporate/imperial game. For instance, they very likely support the IMF-brokered Argentine debt agreement because it involves IMF/World Bank credibility. These discredited and hated institutions are trying to regain ground on behalf of the 1%, not on behalf of the third world or the poor. This is a painless way to make a friendly gesture (opposing Romney pal Paul Singer), but the picture of Obama LatAm policy is also characterized by the overthrow of democracy in Honduras, Obama/Clinton's active support of the coup government, and the rightwing death squad activity there now, and the on-going death squad activity in Colombia, with whom Obama signed a "free trade for the rich" agreement.

The Honduran coup was not subtle, but it was of Bush Junta design (only six months into the Obama administration, mid-2009), and what followed WAS subtle (or relatively subtle): The U.S. State Department running an alleged election in Honduras under martial law--an election that no reputable election monitoring group on earth would touch--it was so wrong. The U.S. used the International Republican Institute and other such CIA operations to "monitor" this fake election of the rightwing coup party, after they threw the elected president out of the country and started killing Leftists, labor leaders, journalists and others.

They soon found out that they had aroused Latin America, most of which still does not recognize the Honduran government. This particular effort at subtlety--a fake election--failed. But that is the Obama administration's mode--a thin veneer of respectability to mask the looting, plundering and war profiteering of predatory capitalists. This is what "free trade" with Colombia is all about. Panetta yanked the bad guy, Alvaro Uribe (quite as bad as Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld--mafia don of Colombia) and anointed a new president, Manual Santos, who immediately made peace with Venezuela, among other things. But the goal is free reign by U.S.-based, transglobal corporate exploiters in Colombia, and the ground work was laid by Uribe with the murders of so many advocates of the poor and other fascist horrors.

Admittedly, the Obamites have had a particularly difficult problem as to covering up Bush Junta crimes in Latin America, which I think is a very large cesspool of drug trafficking and human carnage. I won't go into it all here, but this has complicated their effort to continue predation but with a nice veneer.

In short, I think they DO consider Cristina Fernandez an "enemy"--as they consider all the new Leftist leaders, running "New Deal"-type governments, in South America, "enemies." But they have to reckon with the power of this historic independence and social justice movement. The Bushwhacks were brutal and stupid. The Obamaites are trying to be subtle and smart, and hope to gain more for those whom they serve, by cleverer tactics.

As to this "she devil' nickname for Cristina Fernandez, we need to understand that 'memes' like this are often generated by the CIA ('Chavez the dictator' is another one) and fed to rightwing groups and corporate news outlets in Latin America for promulgation. The local fascists and the local corporate news monopolists are capable of this kind of political thuggery, all on their own, but the CIA does do "trainings" of rightwing groups for the purpose of generating and coordinating such media tactics, and getting maximum exposure of items like "she devil" for the "Big Lie" effect (repetition of a lie or image, so often that it begins to seem real to a lot of corporate news consumers). Chavez, for instance, was about as far from being a "dictator" as he could be (he was, on the contrary, very inclusive and very democratic), yet masses of corporate news consumers have a notion in their heads that he was a "dictator." Totally untrue; created by repetition. The CIA is the master of this kind of disinformation. And when you see an example of it rolling around the world, and becoming hooked into a lot of peoples' brains, it's likely a CIA campaign and not just a local rightwing innovation.

--------------------

Here are a couple of articles on Paul Singer's "vulture fund"/Argentina and Paul Singer's "vulture fund"/Romney:

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) -- Judgment day is approaching in an epic battle between Argentina and New York billionaire Paul Singer, who has sent lawyers around the globe trying to force the South American country to pay its defaulted debts. (MORE)
http://www.democraticunderground.com/101656581
(my emphasis)

--

Was Romney Blind to His Adviser's Vulture Fund?
by Carl Pope

Mitt Romney's blind-trust invested more than a million dollars in a "vulture fund" managed by Paul Singer, a Romney adviser. In 2008, while Delphi Auto Parts was in bankruptcy, Singer's fund bought, for twenty cents on the dollar, Delphi bonds -- lots of them. With Delphi under Singer's control, he threatened to shut it down unless the taxpayer bailed it out -- holding General Motors and Chrysler hostage, because if Delphi shut down, the companies would lack steering columns and other essential parts. After getting his way, and a $7.3 billion bailout from the public, Singer then closed all but five U.S. plants to move these operations and 25,000 jobs to China. Mitt Romney's investments in Singer's fund help make this loss of American jobs possible.
(MORE)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-pope/romney-delphi-auto_b_2051373.html
(my emphasis)

Reply to this post

Response to Peace Patriot (Reply #12)

Fri Apr 5, 2013, 03:29 AM

13. Thanks for refreshing our awareness of what her husband who died suddenly did to rescue Argentina.

He's also another survivor of the fascist military dictatorship's torture of leftists they kidnapped and imprisoned.

His sudden death took EVERYONE by surprise. Nestor Kirchner was a real hero for Argentina, and South America. They made an amazing couple.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 4, 2013, 07:23 PM

11. judge for yourself:

she committed the crime of being ultra-smart, very successful and the most attractive woman in politics ever:

Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, born 19 February 1953.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread