HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » Mexico's 'voladores' seek...

Sun Mar 24, 2019, 08:03 AM

Mexico's 'voladores' seek to keep ancestors' flying spirit alive

Mexico's 'voladores' seek to keep ancestors' flying spirit alive
By Natalia CANO (AFP) Mar 22, 2019

Four teenagers climb to the top of a towering pole, fasten themselves to ropes and throw themselves, headfirst and backwards, into the air.

No, it's not the latest social media challenge. It's the "danza de los voladores," the dance of the flyers, a more than 2,500-year-old ritual practiced by the Totonac people of central Mexico, who are fighting to keep the tradition alive by giving it some modern tweaks.

Spinning in widening circles around the pole as they fly upside-down through the air, the four dancers slowly descend to the ground, dressed in white tunics, red pants and conical hats with rainbow-colored streamers that trail across the sky.

A fifth dancer balances atop the pole -- a 30-meter (nearly 100-foot) tree trunk -- playing a festive tune on a reed flute while beating a small drum.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/mexico-s-voladores-seek-to-keep-ancestors-flying-spirit-alive/article/545970#ixzz5j5aNNLyK

4 replies, 809 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mexico's 'voladores' seek to keep ancestors' flying spirit alive (Original post)
Judi Lynn Mar 2019 OP
Foolacious Mar 2019 #1
WhiteTara Mar 2019 #3
WhiteTara Mar 2019 #2
Judi Lynn Mar 2019 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Mar 24, 2019, 11:24 AM

1. It's really cool

We've seen it so many times that it's old hat now, but whenever we have visitors we make sure they see the voladores (or as we call them "the spinny guys" ).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Foolacious (Reply #1)

Sun Mar 24, 2019, 12:24 PM

3. It's old hat? Doesn't the magic

just thrill you? Or does it seem common place? I was transfixed by the beauty and fearlessness and acceptance of space and time; they look like they are actually flying like birds.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 24, 2019, 12:20 PM

2. That is magical!

That seems like it would be transcendent and to witness it might cause instant enlightenment. To be there might be the only thing that could bring me back to Mexico. Although, I see it's in Vera Cruz, so maybe I'll only see this in my mind.

The young man who balances atop the pole looks as though he is enlightened in his robes with his flute.

Thank you for this magic moment.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 25, 2019, 06:22 PM

4. Found a video someone took of voladores in Papantla, Mexico:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread