HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » Maradona Jr pleads for DN...

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 04:46 PM

Maradona Jr pleads for DNA donors in search for Argentina's stolen babies

The son of the footballing legend is carrying on his fatherís quest to trace the children taken from parents murdered by the junta

Lorenzo Tondo
@lorenzo_tondo
Fri 11 Jun 2021 07.00 EDT

Diego Armando Maradona Jr, son of the late Argentine football legend, is urging Italians to submit DNA to help the Argentinian government trace hundreds of children who were stolen and their parents murdered by the military junta that controlled the country four decades ago.

Maradona Jr is doing radio interviews in Italy and using his 400,000-strong social media following to broaden the search, which has already seen DNA testing programmes rolled out in Madrid and Rome.

The Argentine government believes dozens of children of the desaparecidos, the estimated 30,000 people kidnapped and murdered by the army during the dictatorship of the late 1970s and early 1980s, could have been taken to Italy after the fall of the junta.

During the dictatorship, pregnant women being kept prisoner were kept alive until they gave birth and then murdered. At least 500 babies were taken from their parents and given to childless military couples to raise as their own.

More:
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jun/11/maradona-jr-pleads-for-dna-donors-in-search-for-argentinas-stolen-babies

6 replies, 478 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Maradona Jr pleads for DNA donors in search for Argentina's stolen babies (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jun 14 OP
Faygo Kid Jun 14 #1
peppertree Jun 14 #2
Judi Lynn Jun 14 #3
peppertree Jun 14 #5
abqtommy Jun 14 #4
More_Cowbell Jun 15 #6

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 05:00 PM

1. This deserves attention, people!

Too young to remember Pinochet? He was a pale imitation of Trump.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Faygo Kid (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 05:12 PM

2. And Pinochet, a pale imitation of Argentina's Videla

Videla, who died in 2013, still has a lot of fans in Argentina (despite his regime's economic collapse) - mostly among Macri voters.

Reply to this post

Response to peppertree (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 07:29 PM

3. Isn't it odd to see the country which supported this Dirty War, Videla and company finally

being the target of fascists, too?

I believe Argentina's military leaders and their politicians were more discreet, more refined than our all-out brain-dead undisciplined
sociopaths trying to highjack the country, as their seizure of Argentina seemed focused, organized, and coordinated.

What they did was monstrous, totally without conscience, but they never came across as hate-driven oafs, like Trump's thugs.

Over 30,000 human beings destroyed in such a short period of time. The suffering delivered to the country is still causing hardship
to this day.

I wonder if life will become much fairer, and cleaner after the offspring of the Dirty War supporters have finally bought the farm, too.

This news video does make the information more vivid, more actual than merely seeing it on paper, and I'm really glad you've shared it.

Thanks, peppertree.

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 08:21 PM

5. You're welcome, Judi. And good point: Repugs have been encouraging coups abroad for so long,

it figures they'd eventually turn on their own country as well (though they won't succeed - of that I'm sure).

As far as Argentina's right-wingers, they too have become increasingly radicalized lately - thanks to extremists like Patricia Bullrich and media blowhard "Baby" Etchecopar (among others).

Both have now become the leading political and media figures on the Argentine right, in terms of sheer influence - and both are open proponents of a coup against the FernŠndez administration.

Although whereas Bullrich prefers using right-wing judges (i.e. Ken Starr-like kangaroo trials) and tactics like encouraging people to disregard social distancing in order to get to "100,000 dead as soon as possible," Etchecopar calls for an outright military coup.

"Latin America," Etchecopar told a gathering of right-wing Argentine exiles in Miami, "isn't ready for democracy."

(enthusiastic applause from audience)

"We're like the women in tango lyrics: we need a good slap, to feel like a woman."

It should be noted that in Spanish, the word for a punch or hard slap (golpe) also means coup. And everyone in the audience understood that.

Argentine right-wing radio jock "Baby" Etchecopar:

Latin America "not ready for democracy...like a woman, needs a good slap (coup)...and is full of drug pushers, murderers, and prostitutes."

So with characters like this speaking for more and more in Argentina's right, it won't be too surprising to see outright calls to violence if Macri's 'Together for Change' coalition fares badly in mid-term elections later this year.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 07:54 PM

4. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 15, 2021, 12:44 AM

6. I believe we'll end up doing that here to recover babies stolen at the border

I'm convinced that DeVos's religious adoption group stole some of the children who were taken from their parents.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread