HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » An alternative to the rus...

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:17 AM

An alternative to the rusty boneyard: Is it possible to recycle the behemoths of transport?

How do you recycle planes, trains and space shuttles? We live in a throwaway society: we want new cars, new computers, new clothes. Like us, airlines and shipping companies want huge new pieces of kit. Often their purchases are justified on environmental grounds new ships and planes are more energy efficient.

Boeing boasts that its Dreamliner "uses 20 per cent less fuel than today's similarly sized airplanes". But once you buy a new plane, train or ship, you need to get rid of the old one. The murky world of scrap, salvage and recycling is where many monster-sized machines end up when their working days are over.

Sometimes it's an ignominious end off to rot in the searing desert sun or to be cannibalised by ill-equipped workers on a Bangladeshi beach.

This hidden domain of waste and want is deliberately kept out of sight. It's troubling.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/an-alternative-to-the-rusty-boneyard-is-it-possible-to-recycle-the-behemoths-of-transport-8454623.html

4 replies, 1130 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply An alternative to the rusty boneyard: Is it possible to recycle the behemoths of transport? (Original post)
Sherman A1 Feb 2013 OP
Mopar151 Feb 2013 #1
mopinko Feb 2013 #2
pscot Feb 2013 #3
madokie Mar 2013 #4

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:34 AM

1. Try siting an auto wrecking yard in the US

Or keep more than 2 cars (for parts or salvage) on private property.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:10 AM

2. my old suburban

is now my hen house-

album-
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.463158737039144.101028.410796658942019&type=3

i do what i can in my little corner of the world.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 06:46 PM

3. Grow vegetables in them

or create an artificial reef

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 1, 2013, 09:32 AM

4. We have two recycling businesses here in town

they take in all kinds of stuff from lawn mowers to cars and trucks.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread