HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Foreign Affairs (Group) » U.S. Hard-line Stance on ...

Wed May 15, 2019, 08:16 AM

U.S. Hard-line Stance on Iran Rattles Allies (Foreign Policy)

As Trump’s national security team barrels toward a confrontation in the Persian Gulf, Europe is starting to balk.
BY LARA SELIGMAN, ROBBIE GRAMER | MAY 15, 2019, 9:06 AM
Foreign Policy

Allies of the United States are starting to balk at the Trump administration’s military response to what it calls credible threats from Iran to U.S. troops in the Middle East, as fears mount that the United States is headed into another ill-advised conflict in the region.

Jim Townsend, a former senior Pentagon official, said European allies, already skeptical of Trump’s foreign policy, see disturbing parallels to President George W. Bush’s invasion of Iraq, especially since Trump’s hawkish national security advisor, John Bolton, appears to be directing the administration’s approach to Iran. “Allies are getting nervous about just what Bolton might cause to happen by accident,” Townsend said. “They remember that following the Americans blindly can get you engaged in a forever war.”

“It’s not popular in Europe to go die for Donald Trump,” he said.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/05/15/u-s-hard-line-stance-on-iran-rattles-allies/

3 replies, 637 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply U.S. Hard-line Stance on Iran Rattles Allies (Foreign Policy) (Original post)
bronxiteforever May 2019 OP
RKP5637 May 2019 #1
bronxiteforever May 2019 #2
delisen May 2019 #3

Response to bronxiteforever (Original post)

Wed May 15, 2019, 08:21 AM

1. Allies? By the time the ass in the WH is finished, the US will stand totally alone. Allies are

too smart and educated to get sucked in by tRump.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #1)

Wed May 15, 2019, 08:29 AM

2. I too can't believe we have allies left after tRump.

As far as supporting a war in Iran the Europeans will quote Shrub, “There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

Reply to this post

Response to bronxiteforever (Reply #2)

Wed May 15, 2019, 08:38 AM

3. Thanks for the reminder on how George W. Bush couldn't bring himself to say

"shame on me".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread