HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Foreign Affairs (Group) » Narendra Modi loses key s...

Sun May 2, 2021, 12:37 PM

Narendra Modi loses key state election as Covid grips India

Source: The Guardian

Narendra Modi loses key state election as Covid grips India

Prime minister defeated in West Bengal as voters send message over handling of coronavirus crisis

Hannah Ellis-Petersen in Delhi and Luke Harding
Sun 2 May 2021 13.33 BST

India’s prime minister has suffered a rare political defeat in a key state election, amid signs of a voter backlash over his handling of the coronavirus disaster as the country recorded a record number of deaths.

Narendra Modi had been expected to make significant gains on Sunday in West Bengal, one of few states where his rightwing Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) does not have a parliamentary majority. Instead, Mamata Banerjee, a powerful regional politician and prominent Modi critic, won a third term as chief minister.

The results gave Banerjee’s All India Trinamool Congress a comfortable majority, with her party clocking up 216 seats in the 294-seat assembly. The BJP won 75 seats, up on its performance in 2016 when it got just three but well short of predictions.

Modi made dozens of speeches on the campaign trail in West Bengal, together with his home minister, Amit Shah, who visited as recently as last weekend. Both have been accused of prioritising politics over their response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/02/narendra-modi-loses-key-state-election-west-bengal-covid-grips-india

3 replies, 577 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Narendra Modi loses key state election as Covid grips India (Original post)
Eugene May 2 OP
TreasonousBastard May 2 #1
Initech May 2 #2
TygrBright May 2 #3

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sun May 2, 2021, 12:39 PM

1. Well, SOMEBODY sure fucked it up-- time for a change.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sun May 2, 2021, 12:45 PM

2. Modi, Bolsonaro, Trump, Johnson....

I'm sensing a pattern here and I can't quite put my finger on it...

Reply to this post

Response to Initech (Reply #2)

Sun May 2, 2021, 12:53 PM

3. That dickhead in Hungary... and I think there's an asshole in Poland... n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread