HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Limits of Israel's Arab P...

Thu May 13, 2021, 09:07 AM

Limits of Israel's Arab Partnerships Tested As Violence Flares

An eight-month-old accord aimed at normalizing relations between Israel and the Arab world is facing its first major test as violence flares from Jerusalem to Gaza. And itís proving tricky to navigate. Weeks of public anger over Israelís move to expel Palestinian families from their homes in Jerusalem were already making it more difficult for the United Arab Emirates and three other signatories of the so-called Abraham Accords to justify deepening ties. Now thatís been followed by an explosion of violence, with fighting in Jerusalem and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip leaving mounting civilian deaths, most of them Palestinians.

As the fighting threatens to escalate into all-out war, pressure is rising on Arab governments to take a stand. While the UAE and Bahrain are unlikely to tear up their normalization deals, at least for now, diplomats and analysts say the violence will complicate efforts to translate them from ink on paper into a genuine partnership.

The Abraham Accords gave Israel ďthe false impression that they donít need to come to terms with the Palestinians, that if theyíre able to forge these agreements with the Arab world, then itís irrelevant. That argument has been proved dead wrong by these clashes,Ē said Marwan Al Muasher, former foreign minister of Jordan, now vice-president of studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington. ďWithout peace with the Palestinians one can never hope for I

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-12/limits-of-israel-s-arab-partnerships-tested-as-violence-flares?srnd=politics-vp

1 replies, 423 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Limits of Israel's Arab Partnerships Tested As Violence Flares (Original post)
left-of-center2012 May 13 OP
JohnSJ May 13 #1

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Thu May 13, 2021, 09:24 AM

1. I think the problem with the "Abraham Accords" was it left the Israeli/Palestinian conflict

out of the equation

In my view what needs to be done as soon as possible is implement a cease-fire to the current situation, and restart the Israeli/Palestinian peace talks, with the principle parties, Israel and the Palestinians.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread