Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

azurnoir

(45,850 posts)
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:10 PM Jan 2013

Jewish settler convicted of killing 2 Palestinians (Yaakov Tytell)

A West Bank settler dubbed "The Jewish Terrorist" by the Israeli media was convicted on Wednesday of killing two Palestinians in 1997.

Yaakov "Jack" Tytell, a US immigrant to a settlement in the occupied West Bank, confessed to the killings. Efforts by his lawyers, one whom quoted him as saying he had been on a "mission from God", to have him declared insane failed.

Tytell moved to Israel 12 years ago and in 2008 planted bombs that injured a left-wing Israeli academic and a teenager who belonged to a group of Jews who follow the teachings of Jesus.

.........................................

After Tytell's arrest in 2009, he told investigators he had acted alone and was not part of any anti-Arab Jewish underground. He was detained by police while hanging posters in Jerusalem praising a still-unsolved shooting that year that killed two people at a community center for gay youngsters in Tel Aviv.


http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=556725

more on his arrest

Yaakov (Jack) Tytell, who was arrested last month, is suspected of involvement in the murder of two Palestinians and the rigging of a bomb that seriously injured a boy from a Messianic Jewish family in Ariel. He was allegedly involved in two other bombings, which lightly injured Prof. Zeev Sternhell and a Palestinian. The police say Teitel has confessed to these acts.

Some of his actions were allegedly motivated by hatred for gays and lesbians; Tytell was also questioned about possible involvement in the murder of two people at a gay youth club in Tel Aviv last August. He initially claimed responsibility for those murders, but investigators say he did not commit them.

Tytell, 36, moved to Israel from the United States nine years ago. He and his wife Rivka, who married in Israel, have four children. The police detained Mrs. Tytell for questioning, but she exercised her right to remain silent.

Her husband had been involved in the past with the extreme right wing, but he says he carried out his attacks alone and no one else knew about them, according to investigators. The Shin Bet security service and police are still examining this claim, but have so far not discovered accomplices.


http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/u-s-born-jewish-terrorist-suspected-of-series-of-attacks-over-past-12-years-1.4973

and it only took a mere 3 years


26 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Jewish settler convicted of killing 2 Palestinians (Yaakov Tytell) (Original Post) azurnoir Jan 2013 OP
Israel punishes its terrorists. Palestine cheers their terrorists on. n/t shira Jan 2013 #1
well except for when they get made Prime Minister huh? azurnoir Jan 2013 #2
Like Arafat? Mandela? shira Jan 2013 #3
lol Nelson Mandela is a terrorist too, along with your accusations towards azurnoir Jan 2013 #4
Imagine that. The USA had Mandela on its terrorist list until 2008. n/t shira Jan 2013 #5
even Condi called it embarrassing azurnoir Jan 2013 #6
Like Ariel Sharon. The ghosts of Sabra and Shatila call out for justice. R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #7
Who killed all those people at Sabra & Shatila? n/t shira Jan 2013 #8
You should ask not who, but who helped to make it possible. R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #9
The Kahan commission emphatically stated the IDF didn't help make it possible. shira Jan 2013 #10
Yes, who... R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #11
Who was the leader of the Phalangist forces, ordering the massacre? shira Jan 2013 #12
Who let it happen? R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #14
You're proving my point. Elie Hobeika ordered the Phalangist massacre.... shira Jan 2013 #17
Ariel Sharon did nothing to prevent it. R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #19
What do you make of Elie Hobeika never held to account for it? n/t shira Jan 2013 #20
Do you suffer from selective amnesia? R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #21
That's a cop-out. shira Jan 2013 #22
It's not a cop-out, my friend. It's just reality. R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #24
Why does it matter that he's Jewish? oberliner Jan 2013 #13
Cause he's Jewish? parkia00 Jan 2013 #15
Were the Palestinians Muslims? oberliner Jan 2013 #16
ask Ma'an or are you insinuating I chose to post that because of the title? azurnoir Jan 2013 #18
kills two Palestinians....goes unbothered for over a decade Alamuti Lotus Jan 2013 #23
well yes there is that aspect of the case azurnoir Jan 2013 #26
Very good news oberliner Jan 2013 #25
 

shira

(30,109 posts)
3. Like Arafat? Mandela?
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:34 PM
Jan 2013

At least Mandela and Shamir didn't hand out candies and celebrate the bombings of day cares, buses, and restaurants.

azurnoir

(45,850 posts)
4. lol Nelson Mandela is a terrorist too, along with your accusations towards
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
Jan 2013

Desmond Tutu as seen here

http://www.democraticunderground.com/113418727#post9

one must wonder were there any Black anti-apartheid leaders in South Africa you don't condemn?

however my point was that if one 'lives' in a glass house........

azurnoir

(45,850 posts)
6. even Condi called it embarrassing
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:06 PM
Jan 2013

Nobel Peace Prize winner and international symbol of freedom Nelson Mandela is flagged on U.S. terrorist watch lists and needs special permission to visit the USA. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice calls the situation "embarrassing," and some members of Congress vow to fix it.

The requirement applies to former South African leader Mandela and other members of South Africa's governing African National Congress (ANC), the once-banned anti-Apartheid organization. In the 1970s and '80s, the ANC was officially designated a terrorist group by the country's ruling white minority. Other countries, including the United States, followed suit.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-04-30-watchlist_N.htm

 

R. Daneel Olivaw

(12,606 posts)
9. You should ask not who, but who helped to make it possible.
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:03 PM
Jan 2013

There's an old Roman saying. He who profits from a crime commits the crime.
 

R. Daneel Olivaw

(12,606 posts)
11. Yes, who...
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:37 PM
Jan 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahan_Commission

The Defence Minister, Ariel Sharon, was found to bear personal responsibility[1] "for ignoring the danger of bloodshed and revenge" and "not taking appropriate measures to prevent bloodshed". Sharon's negligence in protecting the civilian population of Beirut, which had come under Israeli control, amounted to a non-fulfillment of a duty with which the Defence Minister was charged, and it was recommended that Sharon be dismissed as Defence Minister.

Initially, Sharon refused to resign, and Prime Minister Menachem Begin refused to fire him. However, following a peace march against the government, as the marchers were dispersing, a grenade was thrown into the crowd, killing Emil Grunzweig, a reserve combat officer and peace activist, and wounding half a dozen others, including the son of the Interior Minister.[2] Although Sharon resigned as Defence Minister, he remained in the Cabinet as a Minister without Portfolio. Years later Sharon would be elected Israel's Prime Minister.


There's an old Roman saying. He who profits from a crime commits the crime.

 

shira

(30,109 posts)
12. Who was the leader of the Phalangist forces, ordering the massacre?
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:23 AM
Jan 2013

Kahan Commission:

Here and there, hints, and even accusations, were thrown out to the effect that I.D.F. soldiers were in the camps at the time the massacre was perpetrated. We have no doubt that these notions are completely groundless and constitute a baseless libel.

...

Contentions and accusations were advanced that even if I.D.F. personnel had not shed the blood of the massacred, the entry of the Phalangists into the camps had been carried out with the prior knowledge that a massacre would be perpetrated there and with the intention that this should indeed take place; and therefore all those who had enabled the entry of the Phalangists into the camps should be regarded as accomplices to the acts of slaughter and sharing in direct responsibility. These accusations too are unfounded. We have no doubt that no conspiracy or plot was entered into between anyone from the Israeli political echelon or from the military echelon in the I.D.F. and the Phalangists, with the aim of perpetrating atrocities in the camps. The decision to have the Phalangists enter the camps was taken with the aim of preventing further losses in the war in Lebanon; to accede to the pressure of public opinion in Israel, which was angry that the Phalangists, who were reaping the fruits of the war, were taking no part in it; and to take advantage of the Phalangists' professional service and their skills in identifying terrorists and in discovering arms caches. No intention existed on the part of any Israeli element to harm the non-combatant population in the camps. It is true that in the war in Lebanon, and particularly during the siege of West Beirut, the civilian population sustained losses, with old people, women and children among the casualties, but this was the result of belligerent actions which claim victims even among those who do not fight. Before they entered the camps and also afterward, the Phalangists requested I.D.F. support in the form of artillery fire and tanks, but this request was rejected by the Chief of Staff in order to prevent injuries to civilians. It is true that I.D.F. tank fire was directed at sources of fire within the camps, but this was in reaction to fire directed at the I.D.F. from inside the camps. We assert that in having the Phalangists enter the camps, no intention existed on the part of anyone who acted on behalf of Israel to harm the non-combatant population, and that the events that followed did not have the concurrence or assent of anyone from the political or civilian echelon who was active regarding the Phalangists' entry into the camps.

It was alleged that the atrocities being perpetrated in the camps were visible from the roof of the forward command post, that the fact that they were being committed was also discernible from the sounds emanating from the camps, and that the senior I.D.F. commanders who were on the roof of the forward command post for two days certainly saw or heard what was going on in the camps. We have already determined above that events in the camps, in the area where the Phalangists entered, were not visible from the roof of the forward command post. It has also been made clear that no sounds from which it could be inferred that a massacre was being perpetrated in the camps reached that place. It is true that certain reports did reach officers at the forward command post - and we shall discuss these in another section of this report - but from the roof of the forward command post they neither saw the actions of the Phalangists nor heard any sounds indicating that a massacre was in progress.

Here we must add that when the group of doctors and nurses met I.D.F. officers on Saturday morning, at a time when it was already clear to them that they were out of danger, they made no complaint that a massacre had been perpetrated in the camps. When we asked the witnesses from the group why they had not informed the I. D. F. officers about the massacre, they replied that they had not known about it. The fact that the doctors and nurses who were in the Gaza Hospital - which is proximate to the site of the event and where persons wounded in combative action and frightened persons from the camps arrived - did not know about the massacre, but only about isolated instances of injury which they had seen for themselves, also shows that those who were nearby but not actually inside the camps did not form the impression, from what they saw and heard, that a massacre of hundreds of people was taking place. Nor did members of a unit of the Lebanese army who were stationed near the places of entry into the camps know anything about the massacre until after the Phalangists had departed.

Our conclusion is therefore that the direct responsibility for the perpetration of the acts of slaughter rests on the Phalangist forces. No evidence was brought before us that Phalangist personnel received explicit orders from their command to perpetrate acts of slaughter, but it is evident that the forces who entered the area were steeped in hatred for the Palestinians...

 

R. Daneel Olivaw

(12,606 posts)
14. Who let it happen?
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:27 AM
Jan 2013

There's an old Roman saying. He who profits from a crime commits the crime.

You seem to keep on ignoring this.

 

shira

(30,109 posts)
17. You're proving my point. Elie Hobeika ordered the Phalangist massacre....
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 06:50 PM
Jan 2013

Never heard of him, did you? But you know Sharon.

You realize Hobeika was never held accountable? Nor was there even a call by "progressives" to try him for war crimes?

Why do you think that is?

 

R. Daneel Olivaw

(12,606 posts)
19. Ariel Sharon did nothing to prevent it.
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:53 PM
Jan 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahan_Commission

The Defence Minister, Ariel Sharon, was found to bear personal responsibility "for ignoring the danger of bloodshed and revenge" and "not taking appropriate measures to prevent bloodshed". Sharon's negligence in protecting the civilian population of Beirut, which had come under Israeli control, amounted to a non-fulfillment of a duty with which the Defence Minister was charged, and it was recommended that Sharon be dismissed as Defence Minister.

It is strange that you would throw up all sorts of roadblocks instead of addressing this tidbit. Are you able to read the above information with impartiality?
 

R. Daneel Olivaw

(12,606 posts)
21. Do you suffer from selective amnesia?
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
Jan 2013
http://www.democraticunderground.com/113428428#post1

There would not have been any massacre had Ariel done his job. Strange that he didn't.
 

shira

(30,109 posts)
22. That's a cop-out.
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
Jan 2013

Basically, the Jewish State is at fault and the Phalange leadership isn't held accountable.

And you're fine with that.

Nice concept of justice you have there.

 

R. Daneel Olivaw

(12,606 posts)
24. It's not a cop-out, my friend. It's just reality.
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:42 AM
Jan 2013

You keep on trying to sidestep that the commission found Ariel Sharon at fault. Had he acted as he should have, since Sabra and Shatilla were his responsibility, the massacre could have been avoided.
 

oberliner

(58,724 posts)
13. Why does it matter that he's Jewish?
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:28 AM
Jan 2013

What is the reason for the inclusion of that detail in the headline?

parkia00

(583 posts)
15. Cause he's Jewish?
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:24 PM
Jan 2013

You know... news... facts...details...etc..? I'm sure if the terrorist was Palestinian in such an instance it would be stated that he's a Palestinian in the article. And if it was, would you have the same odd reaction to such an inclusion in the headline? Really don't see the issue here. Plenty of nuts to go around.

 

oberliner

(58,724 posts)
16. Were the Palestinians Muslims?
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:15 PM
Jan 2013

Why would the Jewish person be listed by his religion rather than nationality, but the Palestinian people be listed by their nationality and not their religion?

Why not Jewish/Muslim or Israeli/Palestinian as the two adjectives?

Why Jewish in the first case and Palestinian in the second?

azurnoir

(45,850 posts)
18. ask Ma'an or are you insinuating I chose to post that because of the title?
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:30 PM
Jan 2013

but is there some reason it shouldn't be there? I would think it significant because it was a verdict arrived at by an Israeli court against an Israeli Jew charged with killing Palestinians and I quite frankly do not understand your problem with it as it is proof that Israel is not 100% antiPalestinian something that needs to be pointed out now and then, unfortunately

now my reason for posting it other what I mentioned above is that I remember when he was first arrested 3 years ago and a thread being posted on DU2 about that

 

Alamuti Lotus

(3,093 posts)
23. kills two Palestinians....goes unbothered for over a decade
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 08:29 PM
Jan 2013

however, was only arrested 12yrs later when a few Jews were injured by his nonsense as well. I can't believe some people would try to hold this case up as some paramount example of justice...well, actually yes I can believe that. The facts of the case suggest precisely the opposite!

azurnoir

(45,850 posts)
26. well yes there is that aspect of the case
Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:56 PM
Jan 2013

but hey eventually he was found guilty, paramount of justice well in this situation ..........

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»Issue Forums»Israel/Palestine»Jewish settler convicted ...