HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » UN chief urges end to Isr...

Tue Jan 17, 2012, 06:48 AM

UN chief urges end to Israeli occupation

BEIRUT UN chief Ban Ki-moon on Sunday called for an end to Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories, saying the illegal building of settlements worked against a two-state solution.

"The Israeli occupation of Arab and Palestinian territories must end. So must violence against civilians," Ban said in a keynote address at a conference in Beirut on democracy in the Arab world.

"Settlements, new and old, are illegal. They work against the emergence of a viable Palestinian state," said the UN secretary general.

"A two-state solution is long overdue. The status quo offers only the guarantee of future conflict."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i92dAIuRlCXzXpEuMAe-EgcBFGOQ?docId=CNG.189a465aaa7bffb3c0367772de1c755d.311

4 replies, 1198 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply UN chief urges end to Israeli occupation (Original post)
Violet_Crumble Jan 2012 OP
shira Jan 2012 #1
Violet_Crumble Jan 2012 #2
shira Jan 2012 #3
ProgressiveProfessor Jan 2012 #4

Response to Violet_Crumble (Original post)

Tue Jan 17, 2012, 08:26 AM

1. Someone should inform Ban Ki-Moon that UNSCR 242 is about land in exchange for peace....

It's not about land for more war, with insecure and indefensible borders.

Also, the land isn't defacto Palestinian land as the Jews also have a valid claim to it.

I suggest that Moon pressures the Palestinians and surrounding Arab states to be reasonable WRT their land for peace formula and accept something along the lines of the Clinton Initiatives or Olmert's 2008 offer.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to shira (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 17, 2012, 08:32 AM

2. I'm sure he's open to listening to all sorts of nutty opinions...

Go track down his email address and share yr opinions with him if you think they're so important. It'll probably give him a good laugh

Reply to this post

Response to Violet_Crumble (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 17, 2012, 08:37 AM

3. Ooooh. Great substantive reply there. Kudos! n/t

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 17, 2012, 09:54 AM

4. It is disappointing to see the UN not stand behind the original mandate

Reply to this post