HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Gilbert Baker, Creator of...

Sat Apr 1, 2017, 12:41 AM

Gilbert Baker, Creator of the Rainbow Flag, International Symbol of LGBTQ Pride, Has Died at 65

Gilbert Baker, the creator of the rainbow flag, has died at 65.

Baker created the flag for the 1978 Pride march in San Francisco, known then as the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade.

Activist Cleve Jones posted the sad news to Facebook, writing: I am heartbroken. My dearest friend in the world is gone. Gilbert gave the world the Rainbow Flag; he gave me forty years of love and friendship. I cant stop crying. I love you forever Gilbert Baker.

Jones later tweeted that there will be a gathering under the rainbow flag at Castro and Market Streets in San Francisco at 7 pm tonight:

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2017/03/gilbert-baker/

2 replies, 3663 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gilbert Baker, Creator of the Rainbow Flag, International Symbol of LGBTQ Pride, Has Died at 65 (Original post)
TexasTowelie Apr 2017 OP
regnaD kciN Apr 2017 #1
shenmue Apr 2017 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Apr 1, 2017, 02:42 AM

1. I just found out that a friend from college...

...a talented playwright/director who had staged several plays I acted in, had been a friend and collaborator with Baker, and had helped make (as in dying and sewing) the first rainbow flag. Amazing to imagine being such a part of history!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Apr 1, 2017, 01:54 PM

2. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread