HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » 'It didn't come from a pl...

Wed Jan 23, 2019, 05:04 AM

'It didn't come from a place of hate': Head shop owner admits to anti-gay slur, but claims he didn't

'It didn't come from a place of hate': Head shop owner admits to anti-gay slur, but claims he didn't mean it

Sure he used a slur, but he didn’t mean it.

The manager of a Queens head shop and tattoo parlor accused of using an anti-gay insult against two customers admitted he used the word “f-----,” but said it wasn’t done in a negative way.

“It didn’t come from a place of hate,” Mohammed Hoque, 26, told the Daily News about the slur Tuesday as a protest raged outside the Village Moon on Roosevelt Ave. in Jackson Heights. “I defended my family and my property. That's all that happened."

Joseph Sokolowski, 39, and his husband, Jeremy Valarezo, 36, visited the head shop just before 1 a.m. Nov. 3 to buy a $46 tobacco pipe. They paid with a credit card, but balked when Hoque’s employee wanted to photocopy Sokolowski’s driver’s license as proof of ID.

more...

Maybe people should start talking about and CHECKING their fucking heterosexual privilege!

3 replies, 854 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'It didn't come from a place of hate': Head shop owner admits to anti-gay slur, but claims he didn't (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Jan 2019 OP
Arkansas Granny Jan 2019 #1
Behind the Aegis Jan 2019 #2
Saviolo Jan 2019 #3

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2019, 05:11 AM

1. This reminds me of a statement I heard from my late father-in-law.

"I'm not prejudiced. I've known some good n******s."

I know it sounds remarkable, but he truly believed that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Arkansas Granny (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 23, 2019, 05:19 AM

2. Not remarkable at all, I have heard it many times.

They really believe they aren't prejudiced, despite having bigoted beliefs. I have heard similar in regards to my being a Jew and being gay.

"You are so generous for a Jew."

"You aren't like those "sissy fags", you're cool."

They said those things and really didn't think it was problematic.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2019, 11:34 AM

3. I've heard it all my life.

"That's gay!"

"Um... I'm gay, could you maybe not use it as an insult?"

"Geeze, I didn't mean gay as in homosexual, I just meant gay as in bad, y'know. Don't be so sensitive!"

That attitude can go fuck off into the sun forever.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread