HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Women's Rights & Issues (Group) » School District Puts Anti...

Thu Aug 20, 2015, 09:33 PM

School District Puts Anti-Abortion Stickers on Textbooks

School District Puts Anti-Abortion Stickers on Textbooks

[img][/img]

<snip>

The label is a result of an effort by a religious group and several board members to "present childbirth and adoption as preferred options to elective abortion" in biology textbooks, AZ Central reported last year. They defended the stance by citing state laws that say schools must encourage childbirth or adoption over abortion. In December, the board decided against all-out editing of the textbooks, however, after Superintendent Dr. Christina M. Kishimoto​ raised concerns about potential copyright violations and pointed out how much effort and time it would take to manually edit the books.

According to NARAL, pretty much the entire Arizona state government is anti-choice. It was the first state to pass a controversial law obligating doctors to inform patients that medication abortions are reversible, though there's no credible evidence to support that claim. (The law is now on hold.) Arizona also has a number of regulations that attempt to discourage women to get abortions, including that a woman must receive an ultrasound 24 hours before the procedure, and that she must have in-person counseling session at least 24 hours in advance of the procedure. This means that a woman will have to make at least two trips to the facility.

Irene Mahoney-Paige, the district's director of communication, told Cosmopolitan.com via email that "stickers were given to the department chairs, some schools have students putting the stickers on while other schools have students turning their books into the bookstore manager who is then putting the stickers on. The stickers are going on the inside of the back cover of all Biology books." She said, though, that "there is no punishment if students do not use the sticker."

Read more: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/news/a45170/arizona-textbook-abstinence/

6 replies, 3334 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply School District Puts Anti-Abortion Stickers on Textbooks (Original post)
Novara Aug 2015 OP
Glorfindel Aug 2015 #1
shenmue Aug 2015 #3
Fred Sanders Aug 2015 #2
TreasonousBastard Aug 2015 #4
Kath1 Aug 2015 #5
ThoughtCriminal Aug 2015 #6

Response to Novara (Original post)

Thu Aug 20, 2015, 09:41 PM

1. "there is no punishment if students do not use the sticker." I don't get it.

How does one USE a sticker? There's no end to the insanity, is there?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Glorfindel (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 20, 2015, 10:10 PM

3. Does the sticker go on the uterus?

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 20, 2015, 09:49 PM

2. The Fundies are as crazy as a dumb Fox. What part of "secular State" confuses them?

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 20, 2015, 10:14 PM

4. I just bruised my jaw when...

it dropped down to the desk. Too bad that parents elected the assholes doing this instead of rising up to denounce them.

Here's one source (based on Guttmacher Institute data) that seems to show that teenage pregnancies, in some places, are declining faster than teenage sex. There's a link to a chart showing Arizona as #6 in teenage pregnancies, so abstinence doesn't seem to working very well there.

http://www.livescience.com/27418-state-teen-pregnancy-rates.html

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 21, 2015, 12:33 AM

5. I am so sick of this sort of thing,

Trust women to make their own decisions regarding their own bodies, please. I would give my child a pro-choice sticker and raise hell if they said anything about it.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 21, 2015, 07:14 PM

6. Tea Party took over the school board.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread