HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Feminists (Group) » Single Sex Clubs (Women's...

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 06:25 AM

Single Sex Clubs (Women's Only as Well) Banned at Harvard

This is a sad day for many feminists, who fought for ways to organize and develop power bases.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/29/metro/harvard-will-drop-policy-targeting-all-male-final-clubs/?outputType=amp

Harvard adopted the ban in 2016 in an effort to shut down the universityís eight, highly secretive, all-male final clubs. But the universityís decision was quickly attacked by womenís organizations that were also affected.

and

Harvardís policy has led to the near death of all-female clubs, many of which have become co-ed and disassociated with their national umbrella organizations in an effort to comply. Unlike the menís clubs, the oldest of which were founded in 1791, the female clubs are much newer and do not own Harvard Square mansions.

Female members have argued the clubs serve as spaces for women to find camaraderie at what can still seem like a male-dominated institution.

5 replies, 1410 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Single Sex Clubs (Women's Only as Well) Banned at Harvard (Original post)
janterry Jul 2020 OP
CatLady78 Jul 2020 #1
janterry Jul 2020 #2
CatLady78 Jul 2020 #3
janterry Jul 2020 #4
CatLady78 Jul 2020 #5

Response to janterry (Original post)

Response to CatLady78 (Reply #1)

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 01:04 PM

2. Carter says this

But I have a different view and so did many women. The belief was that it was done to satisfy pressure groups who wanted to end reliance on sex. Womenís groups were not consulted before the decision.

I (this is me!) try to remained wide-minded - but I believe that title IX itself is under threat.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to janterry (Reply #2)

Response to CatLady78 (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 01:17 PM

4. I understand

esp. the roundabout

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to janterry (Reply #4)

Reply to this thread