HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » ‘Blowfish’ for Hangovers:...

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 05:18 PM

‘Blowfish’ for Hangovers: Cure or Red Herring? (No, The FDA Did Not "Approve" It)

This product seems to be giving us a little insight into science/health reporting, as I suspect that most articles on this product are simply regurgitating company press releases. But I admit that I haven't spent the time to find the company press releases.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/12/06/blowfish-for-hangovers-cure-or-red-herring/

"...

The FDA did not immediately return ABC News’ requests for a comment. Contrary to recent headlines, the agency did not approve the drug. Because the over-the-counter formula combines drugs that are already approved, it didn’t have to. It does, however, regulate the manufacturing process and the drug’s packaging.

“Like all drug packaging, it has a lot of warnings for people with certain conditions,” said Haysom, describing the health risks of aspirin – a blood-thinner – for people with bleeding conditions. “And pregnant women should not take it, but hopefully they don’t need to be taking it!”

A hangover is a collection of symptoms that emerge when alcohol’s intoxicating effects start to wear off. Research on hangover treatments is scarce, but alcohol is thought to trigger an inflammatory response – a process blocked by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin. The inflammatory response is similar to the body’s defense against flu, and is linked to lethargy – an energy lull boosted by caffeine. Finally, the chemicals produced by the body to break alcohol down are hard on the stomach – collateral damage tempered by an antacid.

But it’s unclear whether Blowfish, which contains acetylsalicylic acid and citric acid — both of which could mitigate some of its stomach-soothing effects — is better than the age-old hangover remedy: Aspirin and a cup of coffee.

..."

------------------------------------------------

IMO, it all seems like a lot of hype over another unnecessary, and rather expensive, product.

3 replies, 1623 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply ‘Blowfish’ for Hangovers: Cure or Red Herring? (No, The FDA Did Not "Approve" It) (Original post)
HuckleB Dec 2011 OP
SidDithers Dec 2011 #1
HuckleB Dec 2011 #2
MineralMan Dec 2011 #3

Response to HuckleB (Original post)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 05:51 PM

1. I saw the thread heading and thought they were talking about actual Blowfish...

Thinking to myself, "that's poisonous, isn't it? The hangover will be the least of your worries".

Thanks for posting.

Sid

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SidDithers (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 01:01 PM

2. Well, THAT might have plausibility!

This does seem like an example of some of the disingenuous marketing used by supplement companies. Oh, no. I'm getting serious. I must stop.

Reply to this post

Response to HuckleB (Original post)

Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:20 PM

3. Back when I was young and still getting hangovers,

the old aspirin and coffee deal worked a treat. These days, I don't drink enough to get hangovers, and I'm taking aspirin because I'm an old geezer whose doctor said I should be taking the little baby aspirin for my heart's sake. It's hell getting old.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread