HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Cancer Support (Group) » Can someone interpret thi...

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 07:57 AM

Can someone interpret this -Possible Myeloma

My mom is not doing well. We are worried it could be myeloma.

I am only looking for anecdotal stuff. We are getting medical care. But I would like to know if any of this sounds familiar to someone with a Multiple Myeloma or other cancer diagnosis.

We have to wait a hellish 3 days for test results (biopsy and serum protein electrophoresis).

My mom developed the following symptoms rapidly over the last 2 months (not sure if it is relevant but she had just stopped a diabetes medication Metformin which might have tumor suppressing properties): anemia, rapid weight loss(approx. 7 kg), fatigue, loss of appetite, back pain, nausea, edema in 1 leg. A few of these have subsided a little.

Mom's bloodwork came back yesterday with this:

Peripheral Smear:
RBC-mild hypochromia, few microcytes
WBC-Leucopenia, neutrophil predominates
platelets-thrombocytopenia

Impression: pancytopenia

Bone Marrow: particles+cellular

erythroid-normoblastic with few megaloblasts

myeloid decreased; all cells of myeloid maturation seen; plenty of atypical cells seen-possibly of lymphoid origin.

Megakaryocyte - Decreased

Impression:
Suggestive of:
(1) Lymphoproliferative disorder with plasmacytoid lymphocytes. R/o lymphoma

(2) R/o Plasma cell dyscrasias
(there was a check mark against this-possibly indicating that further investigations are required).

Some of that is about anemia...I knew a bit about lymphocytes once upon a time. But my brain is just not working. I googled most of that and it generally brings up cancer. But if you have any personal accounts I would like to hear them.

I am tense. We are very close..we are a very small family unit..just three people..mom, dad and I...

Thanks in advance for any info..

6 replies, 747 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Can someone interpret this -Possible Myeloma (Original post)
CatLady78 Aug 5 OP
luvs2sing Aug 5 #1
CatLady78 Aug 5 #2
luvs2sing Aug 5 #3
CatLady78 Aug 5 #4
moonscape Aug 5 #5
CatLady78 Aug 5 #6

Response to CatLady78 (Original post)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 09:03 AM

1. Has she had a full-body X-ray or bone marrow biopsy?

There are a number of tests to confirm myeloma. My husband was initially diagnosed with it in 2005, however, x-ray and biopsy were negative, but his bloodwork was all screwed up, and his hemoglobins and platelets were life-threateningly low. After about a month, they pinned it down to be splenic marginal zone lymphoma, a rare, incurable, but very treatable blood cancer. He had a splenectomy in 2006 and has been very healthy, with intermittent treatment when his hemoglobins get low, ever since. In fact, he has not needed treatment for the past seven years, and the disease can now only be detected through special tests.

I wish you and your mom good luck and health as you uncover this mystery.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to luvs2sing (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 09:22 AM

2. Thank you so much

I am so happy to hear that your husband has a 15 year survival rate at this point. He was probably younger than my mom who is 71. But still it gives me hope. This is the sort of stuff I am interested in.

She has not had a full-body x-ray yet. She has had a bone marrow biopsy-we are anxiously awaiting the results. They are expected in the next few days.

All the best to your husband and you. This post cheered me up. Incurable but treatable...

Right now she is struggling psychologically more than physically and hope helps.....statistics are not very cheering...

Reply to this post

Response to CatLady78 (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 10:47 AM

3. Glad to help!

Yes, my husband was 52 when diagnosed which was unusual. Most people who get splenic marginal zone lymphoma are closer to your motherís age. The treatments have been easy to tolerate.

When we first got the diagnosis that he might have myeloma, I remember reading median survival was something like 36 months. However, since that time, there are a lot of new treatments. I currently know three people who have it and have had stem cell transplants and are doing well five and more years down the road.

There is always hope.

Reply to this post

Response to luvs2sing (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 11:07 AM

4. That is all good to hear

Thanks !

Reply to this post

Response to CatLady78 (Original post)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 11:59 AM

5. Blood tests for myeloma include

immunoglobulin, free light chain, electrophoresis.

I have myeloma and it's also not curable but treatable. The advances in therapy are remarkable; we're living a lot longer.

I am on maintenance chemo, and have been since finishing 6-month induction therapy in 2015, and am doing well. Five years so far! My myeloma will inevitably assert itself again but I feel confident about my options and expect to stick around quite a while longer

Reply to this post

Response to moonscape (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 5, 2020, 11:04 PM

6. That is good to hear

I am feeling more hopeful after seeing your posts. I hope you are around for a lot longer as well .
Thanks for the info.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread