HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Weight Loss/Maintenance (Group) » I've finally found my key...

Mon Nov 28, 2016, 07:26 PM

I've finally found my key to losing weight at age 68 1/2.

Last edited Mon Nov 28, 2016, 10:25 PM - Edit history (1)

I've had a poor body image since about the age of 12. I've always compared myself to my older sister. Although, most people didn't see me as really 'fat', I thought I was because I weighed more than my sister who's an inch shorter and because of my large breasts (which I hate with a passion).

I weighed about 125-128 at 5'3" through college and until I had my son. I didn't lose the baby weight until I went through my divorce. Then continued to weigh from 128 to 133 for the next 30 years.

After menopause, I gradually ballooned up to 158. Then had Stage IV throat cancer in 2009 and went down to 125 through treatment.

Suddenly, when I could eat again, everything was stored as fat! Nutritionist said it was a normal reaction to the end of months of 'starvation' my body had gone through. I went back up to 138 and spent $1000 with Metabolic Research Center in 2013-14, attempting to lose a lousy 14 pounds and they failed.

Anyway, I found I was back at 148 at the end of this August. (Became addicted to Cadbury Mini Easter Eggs and all things sweet). I wanted to lose pounds before my trip to Paris next month.

Found a used book called The Virgin Diet by J.J. Virgin and decided to give it a try. I lost 13 pounds in the 21 day first cycle. The diet is a little bit Paleo, close to the Whole30 plan. You give up gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, eggs, corn, and peanuts. Whole30 you keep the eggs and give up beans. In Cycle 2 you begin to add back things, but leave sugar and preprocessed foods forever.

Anyway, it's been 6 weeks since I started and I'm down to my college age weight! I only wish I looked like I did back then. Things definitely happen to women as they age!

So, I think I will always start my day with a plant protein shake and watch my carbs like a hawk.

Yes, it's sugars and carbs that make me gain. But there might be a few forgiven in Paris.

4 replies, 4668 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply I've finally found my key to losing weight at age 68 1/2. (Original post)
sinkingfeeling Nov 2016 OP
elleng Nov 2016 #1
WendyBlair Jun 2017 #2
All-In Jul 2017 #3
ProudMNDemocrat Dec 2017 #4

Response to sinkingfeeling (Original post)

Mon Nov 28, 2016, 10:27 PM

1. Please DO forgive a few in Paris!

Croissants! Croque Monsieur! Have a great trip!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 17, 2017, 02:45 AM

2. weight loss ideea

Well done dear. Go for it.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 7, 2017, 02:38 AM

3. Too Bad Meat Causes Cancer....

Eat To Live

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 30, 2017, 06:54 PM

4. Congratulations. Maintanence is important.....

As you continue your journey. Just remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread