HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » What i made this morning:...

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 06:30 AM

What i made this morning: Vietnamese Pho

Had a hankering for a good bowl of hot steaming pho noodles, so i parboiled some beef bones & threw in a couple chunks of brisket (grub for the hubby) to flavor the broth. Then i washed the bones &brisket, put them in a 7-quart crockpot along with aromatics &spice seasonings, &let simmer on high for about 15 hours in time for dinner. How do yall make your pho broth& for how long do you let it simmer?

Pho is one dish i can have any time of the day, especially when i'm under the weather. Very comforting, satisfyingly good & filling.

11 replies, 921 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to onetexan (Original post)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 07:54 AM

1. i love Pho but i wont cook anything for 15 hrs. Youre very dedicated!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to samnsara (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 07:57 AM

2. Anything in a crockpot is simple. I just let it sit there & check it later in the day.

Slow cookers are a life saver for me. 1 pot will last several days & saves me alot of time in the kitchen.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 07:59 AM

3. Omigosh that sounds awesome

I use Mama noodles instant pho and spruce it up with thin sliced raw beef and jalapeños and bean sprouts and basil and lime slices and optional siracha, but I really should try making the real deal some day.

We do have an amazing pho place nearby but it would be great to have a huge batch on hand. I could eat it every day.

Reply to this post

Response to soothsayer (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 10:36 AM

4. When i'm home i'll post some slow cooker pho recipes for u

Very simple yet takes a bit of tweaking to get the complex flavoring just right. I love it given ots a combo of fresh herbs, sprouts,noodles & intensely flavorful broth. The house smells amazingly good, esp'ly during the cold season. A big creockpotw feed a family of 4 for several meals & its perfect when u have guests. Make it beforehand, remove all the bones &solids, put it in the fridge overnight & remove the fat layer on top when ur ready to eat.

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 10:40 AM

5. Oh gosh thanks, i'll promise to make it!

Reply to this post

Response to soothsayer (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 08:12 PM

6. OK here is recipe link

http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2009/12/crock-pot-pho-bo-vietnamese-beef-noodle.html

This lady's recipe is quite authentic. But instead of having to combine all those separate aromatics, i use this all-in-one neat little cheese paper pouch of seasonings that you can just conveniently throw into the soup pot:
https://www.amazon.com/Bulk-Buy-Chinese-Special-Seasoning/dp/B007DXJZJO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=pho+Hoa+pasteur&qid=1618185942&sr=8-2

Bon appetit & let me know how it turns out next time you make it. you can easily get all the ingredients (fresh herbs, sprouts, noodle sticks, beef bones or oxtail, brisket meat, etc.) at an asian grocery store. Most larger chain grocery stores also have them.

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 08:53 PM

7. Thank you! Will report

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #6)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:44 AM

8. Oxtails et al are simmering

My bean sprout hunt failed but I have time

Reply to this post

Response to soothsayer (Reply #8)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 04:54 PM

11. No worries re: beansprouts. I prefer to have cilantro & basil if i cant have sprouts

My daughter dsnt like sprouts so she has it w/out. Oh & dont 4get the hoisin sauce & sriracha while u're hunting

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 11:13 AM

9. Love it.

Have tried to make it many times, and I just can’t get it right. This is a dish that is best left to the professionals.

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Response to Laelth (Reply #9)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 04:52 PM

10. Just takes some practice. It becomes second nature once u've done it a few times

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread