HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Writing about food: Woody...

Tue Jul 25, 2017, 10:31 AM

Writing about food: Woody Allen's "Notes from the Overfed"

(After reading Dostoevski and the new 'Weight Watchers' magazine on the same plane trip)

"I am fat. I am disgustingly fat. I am the fattest human I know. ... At one time I was thin -- quite thin. ... I remained thin until one day ... when I was having tea and cracknels with my uncle at a fine restaurant. Suddenly my uncle put a question to me. 'Do you believe in God?' he asked. 'And if so, what do you think He weighs?' ... 'I do not believe in God,' I told him. 'For if there is a God, then tell me, Uncle, why is there poverty and baldness? ... Could not all life be an illusion? ... Could it not be simply that we are alone and aimless, doomed to wander in an indifferent universe, with no hope of salvation, nor any prospect except misery, death, and the empty reality of eternal nothing?' I could see that I made a deep impression on my uncle with this, for he said to me, 'You wonder why you're not invited to more parties!' ... He ... then said, 'God is ... everywhere. In these cracknels, for instance.'

"I had a dream that was to change my life forever. In the dream, I am strolling in the country, when I suddenly notice I am hungry. ... I come upon a restaurant and I enter. I order the open-hot-roast-beef sandwich and a side of French. The waitress ... tries to tempt me into ordering the chicken salad. which doesn't look fresh. As I am conversing with this woman, she turns into a twenty-four-piece starter set of silverware. ... I awoke with a tremendous sense of well-being. ... Suddenly everything was clear. My uncle's statement reverberated to the core of my existence. I went to the kitchen and started to eat. I ate everything in sight. Cakes, bread, cereals, meat, fruits. Succulent chocolates, vegetables in sauce, wines, fish, creams and noodles, eclairs, and wursts totalling in excess of sixty thousand dollars. If God is everywhere, I had concluded, then He is in food. Therefore, the more I ate the godlier I would become. Impelled by this new religious fervor, I glutted myself like a fanatic. In six months, I was the holiest of holies, with a heart entirely devoted to my prayers and a stomach that crossed the state line by itself. ... To reduce would have been the greatest folly. ... For when we lose twenty pounds, dear reader (and I am assuming you are not as large as I), we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity our love and honestly or, in the case of one inspector general I knew, just some unsightly flab around the hips."

2 replies, 1521 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Writing about food: Woody Allen's "Notes from the Overfed" (Original post)
betsuni Jul 2017 OP
underpants Jul 2017 #1
pscot Jul 2017 #2

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Tue Jul 25, 2017, 10:35 AM

1. I remember reading a few of his books

Big fan of his movies but his books were hilarious

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Tue Jul 25, 2017, 12:44 PM

2. Wise men have long believed