HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Writing about food: Keith...

Thu Jul 27, 2017, 09:16 AM

Writing about food: Keith Richards' "Life"

"When I'm at home I cook for myself, usually bangers and mash ... with some variation on the mash but not much. ... I have quite solitary eating habits at odd hours, born out of mealtimes on the road being the opposite of everyone else's. I only eat when I feel like it, which is almost unheard of in our culture. ... You've got to hit it when you're hungry. We've been trained from babyhood to have three square meals a day, the full-factory-industrial revolution idea of how you're supposed to eat. Before then it was never like that. You'd have a little bit often, every hour. ... That's what school's all about ... they're teaching you how to work in a factory. When the hooter goes, you eat. ... Better to have a bit here, a mouthful there, every few hours a bite or two. The human body can deal with it better than shoving a whole load of crap down your gob in an hour.

MY RECIPE FOR BANGERS AND MASH

1. First off, find a butcher who makes his sausages fresh.
2. Fry up a mixture of onions and bacon and seasoning.
3. Get the spuds on the boil with a dash of vinegar, some chopped onions and salt (seasoning to taste). Chuck in some peas with the spuds. (Throw in some chopped carrots too, if you like.) Now we're talking.
4. Now, you have a choice of grilling or broiling your bangers or frying. Throw them on low heat with the simmering bacon and onions ... and let the fuckers rock gently, turning every few minutes.
5. Mash yer spuds and whatever.
6. Bangers are now fat free (as possible!).
7. Gravy if desired.
8. HP sauce, every man to his own.

"My grandad Gus made the best egg and chips you'd ever believe in the world. I'm still trying to get up to the mark on that, and shepherd's pie, which is an ongoing art. Nobody's actually made the quintessential, absolute shepherd's pie; they all come out different. ... The basic thing is just great ground meat and throw in some peas, some carrots, but the trick I was taught by, bless his soul, he's gone now, Big Joe Seabrook, who was my minder, is before you spread the spuds on the top, you chop up some more onions, because the onions you've used to cook with the meat have been reduced, and he was damn right -- it just gives you that extra je ne sais quoi. ... Just a tip, folks."

3 replies, 2171 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Writing about food: Keith Richards' "Life" (Original post)
betsuni Jul 2017 OP
japple Jul 2017 #1
SCantiGOP Aug 2017 #3
Wawannabe Jul 2017 #2

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Thu Jul 27, 2017, 09:48 AM

1. How is Keith Richards still among the living after a steady diet of

this kind of stuff, plus the cigarettes? More power to him, I say. He's a legend and the Stones are still rockin' it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to japple (Reply #1)

Tue Aug 1, 2017, 04:03 PM

3. Apparently

The key to long life is to mix in heroin and an occasional hit of LSD with your horrendous diet.

Reply to this post

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Fri Jul 28, 2017, 01:40 AM

2. Where else but DU?

Would you find a recipe given by Keith Richards! Rock on, man! Thanks!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread