HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Seeking advice on plantin...

Thu Mar 19, 2020, 07:08 PM

Seeking advice on planting crape myrtle & retama trees saplings

Hi folks,
I have 6 Arapaho Red Flowering Crape Myrtle (Lagerstroemi) Tree saplings, 5 retama saplings (Texas native xeriscaping shrub/tree) & 3 redbud saplings i need to put into the ground this weekend. I've planted trees before, but usually the larger size. This is the first time i'm planting trees from saplings. I've read up on the spacing (at least 12-15 ft apart, 5 ft. from the fence), but need to know whether i should brace the saplings with a stake. I've read some don't recommend tying them to a stake but i'm afraid they may be buffeted by strong winds and break.

Also, i've read saplings don't grow as fast - about 6 - 12 inches rather than up to 2 ft/year. If you've planted saplings i'd be happy to read your advice. I'm in zone 8B.

Thanks in advance,
OneTexan

2 replies, 565 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Seeking advice on planting crape myrtle & retama trees saplings (Original post)
onetexan Mar 2020 OP
Major Nikon Mar 2020 #1
onetexan Mar 2020 #2

Response to onetexan (Original post)

Thu Mar 19, 2020, 07:14 PM

1. I generally never stake trees

The wind encourages stronger trunks and roots. The only time I will stake a tree is if it is growing at an angle I donít like and even then only for the shortest duration necessary.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 19, 2020, 07:20 PM

2. whoa that's interesting that the wind encourages stronger trunks & roots

The seller i ordered from doesn't recommend staking them either. I'll see how well they do w/out stakes. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread