HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » 2 cats in New York confir...

Wed Apr 22, 2020, 03:47 PM

2 cats in New York confirmed to have coronavirus, becoming first known infected pets in US

https://wreg.com/news/2-cats-in-new-york-confirmed-to-have-coronavirus-becoming-first-known-infected-pets-in-us/

CNN) — Two cats in New York have been infected with the novel coronavirus, federal officials announced Wednesday. Both had mild respiratory symptoms and are expected to make a full recovery.

“These are the first pets in the United States to test positive,” the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Wednesday in a joint statement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The agencies emphasized that there is no evidence pets play a role in spreading coronavirus in the United States. “There is no justification in taking measures against companion animals that may compromise their welfare,” they said.

The two cats were tested after they showed respiratory symptoms, according to the agencies, and they join the ranks of a lion and a tiger in New York who were previously confirmed to be infected.

More at link! Xpost from GD.

7 replies, 665 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply 2 cats in New York confirmed to have coronavirus, becoming first known infected pets in US (Original post)
SheltieLover Apr 2020 OP
virgogal Apr 2020 #1
Arkansas Granny Apr 2020 #2
shenmue Apr 2020 #3
japple Apr 2020 #4
japple Apr 2020 #5
SheltieLover Apr 2020 #6
japple Apr 2020 #7

Response to SheltieLover (Original post)

Wed Apr 22, 2020, 03:49 PM

1. Testing cats but not enough tests for people.

Boggles the mind.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to virgogal (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 22, 2020, 04:20 PM

2. My thought, as well.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 22, 2020, 04:25 PM

3. Cats: "Oh shit!"

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 22, 2020, 05:00 PM

5. It makes me wonder how accurate the testing is. Cats have always had corona virus in the form of

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) There is a wet form and a dry form. My understanding is that there is a test for FIP, but that it isn't completely reliable. I don't think there has been enough evidence to make these broad statements and we know what's going to happen if this "news" is widely circulated.

Reply to this post

Response to japple (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 22, 2020, 05:21 PM

6. Ty for info

I have never heard of FIP. I will be hunting for info.

Perhaps this is why cats tend to have very sensitive breathing systems? (I'm obviously not medically inclined. lol Just a thought that flew through my mind.)

Reply to this post

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #6)

Wed Apr 22, 2020, 06:13 PM

7. FIP is an insidious disease and the scourge of cat shelters, rescues and human companions.

It's amazing that there are so many similarities between the feline and the human conditions. I am afraid for both humans and cats if there is any kind of connection.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread