HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Civil Liberties (Group) » Cops steal $270K while ex...

Thu Mar 21, 2019, 09:02 AM

Cops steal $270K while executing search warrant,but is stealing while executing SW a 4A violation?

DefamatoryCowHat Retweeted

CA9 panel: when cops stole $270K while executing search warrant, it wasn't clear that stealing property while executing warrant violates 4th Amendment, so cops are immune.
Moses: NOW YOU SEE WHY WE DID THE TABLET THING

Opinion: http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2019/03/20/17-16756.pdf
h/t: @ConLawWarrior

3 replies, 1135 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cops steal $270K while executing search warrant,but is stealing while executing SW a 4A violation? (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Mar 2019 OP
unblock Mar 2019 #1
raging moderate Mar 2019 #2
gopiscrap Mar 2019 #3

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Thu Mar 21, 2019, 09:49 AM

1. one would think that theft would make it not a "reasonable" search and seizure.

alternatively, if they want to take the view that the seizure was reasonable at the *time* the items were removed in the course of executive the search warrant, then a theft took place *after* the execution of the search warrant when the police lied about how much cash was taken.

in any event, it's obviously a recipe for terrible government for the police to effectively have a free pass for thieving in the process of executing a search warrant.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to unblock (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 21, 2019, 09:58 AM

2. Very true. Thank you.

I can't believe I am hearing so much justification of violations of the fourth amendment to the US Constitution.

Reply to this post

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:25 AM

3. fucking cops are all like that

that's one of the reasons why they became cops

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread