HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Civil Liberties (Group) » Donations pour in to help...

Fri Nov 26, 2021, 07:17 AM

Donations pour in to help man wrongfully convicted in 1979

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) ó Donations are pouring in to help a man who was freed from a Missouri prison after a judge found that he was wrongfully convicted in 1979 in a triple killing.

The GoFundMe fundraiser to benefit Kevin Strickland had surpassed its $430,000 goal by Wednesday afternoon, and donations kept coming.

Many of the donors expressed outrage that the 62-year-old wouldnít receive compensation from Missouri. The state only allows wrongful imprisonment payments to people exonerated through DNA evidence, so Strickland doesnít qualify.

Strickland has always maintained that he was home watching television and had nothing to do with the killings, which happened when he was 18 years old.

https://krcgtv.com/news/local/donations-pour-in-to-help-man-wrongfully-convicted-in-1979

3 replies, 562 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Donations pour in to help man wrongfully convicted in 1979 (Original post)
Sherman A1 Nov 26 OP
mahatmakanejeeves Nov 26 #1
tulipsandroses Nov 26 #2
Cracklin Charlie Nov 26 #3

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Fri Nov 26, 2021, 08:13 AM

1. Maybe the Missouri legislature could consider passing some legislation that corrects

this obvious flaw. The could reconvene, or maybe take it up in the current of next session. Seems important.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 26, 2021, 09:32 AM

2. I watched an interview with him and it was heartbreaking

The interviewer asked him where he would go, he said he didnít know. He doesnít have a place to go to. He said maybe Iíll get a cardboard box and sleep under the bridge. I donít know what kind of health problems he has but he was sitting in a wheelchair, he said, this chair doesnít belong to me, they will take it when I leave, I may have to crawl out of here.
He needs to be compensated. The state shouldnít be able to say, oh my bad, we wrongly locked you up for 42 years. Donít know how youíll survive now, but hey

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 26, 2021, 09:41 AM

3. I can't wait...

For the asshole Missouri governor who first tried to ignore Mr. Stricklandís wrongful conviction, and then tried to fight his release, to run for re-election by saying that he got Strickland released.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread