HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » gun shop watchlist?

Tue Jul 5, 2016, 03:42 PM

gun shop watchlist?

The idea is simple. A private network for verified Federal Firearms Licensees to share and report incidents they have with suspicious buyers, and communicate with each other. When one shop in the network posts an alert, other dealers within driving distance are alerted via email, in-app notification, and/or text message.

“FFLs deny gun purchases for all sorts of reasons; including mental health, straw sales, intoxication, violent comments in the store, etc. … FFLs are on the front line protecting our community from bad actors already. Why not make their jobs easier?” Banks argued.

snip

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have often and repeatedly advised FFLs they have the right to refuse any sale they feel is unlawful or suspect.

http://www.guns.com/2016/07/05/meet-the-social-network-for-gun-shops-that-aims-to-monitor-suspect-buyers/
http://gunshopwatchlist.com/

Interesting idea, I don't see any objection to it.

9 replies, 1854 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply gun shop watchlist? (Original post)
gejohnston Jul 2016 OP
The Polack MSgt Jul 2016 #1
DonP Jul 2016 #2
Eleanors38 Jul 2016 #3
gejohnston Jul 2016 #4
flamin lib Jul 2016 #5
Nuclear Unicorn Jul 2016 #6
sarisataka Jul 2016 #7
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jul 2016 #8
Kang Colby Jul 2016 #9

Response to gejohnston (Original post)

Tue Jul 5, 2016, 03:50 PM

1. K&R, nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 5, 2016, 03:50 PM

2. Good idea, and maybe keep a box score too?

How many denials versus the investigation and actual prosecution rates by local authorities?

Good way to keep track of how many straw buyers get caught and prosecuted and how serious our officials really are about keeping guns out of criminal hands by making examples of them.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 5, 2016, 04:27 PM

3. Seems like a good idea to me. Just hope some religious/racial bigot doesn't

use the system to sandbag everyone he has a hate-on for.

Could this run into a problem? Decades ago, an apartment association in a large Texas city ran into trouble by circulating among association members the names of tenants who had payment disputes with a landlord. The list was seen as detrimental to renters who couldn't get their names off the list, and couldn't find suitable spaces.

Reply to this post

Response to Eleanors38 (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 5, 2016, 05:54 PM

4. I was thinking about

not only fools not knowing what a Sikh is, but also when violent Salifasts show up, Sufis, Ibadites, Al-Lawatia, and progressive Muslims have as much to be concerned for their safety as gay Jews. In this country, the greater problem are the kind of fools I have to sit down and explain "dude, I drank beer with more Muslims than you ever met." Ibadites, like in Oman, say beer and hard liquor is OK, since it isn't made from grapes.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 6, 2016, 10:32 AM

5. Funny thing, I posted something about gun sellers doing this and took unmitigated shit for it. nt

Reply to this post

Response to flamin lib (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 6, 2016, 11:27 AM

6. Perhaps it's your combative posting style. A little civility from the gun control faction would

probably gain them more success but you guys seem unable to control yourselves with the same level as you would impose on peaceable gun owners.

Reply to this post

Response to flamin lib (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 6, 2016, 11:28 AM

7. IIRC you had put forth

That a gun shop should look a person up on social media and do their own investigation.

This seems to be more of communication between shops of a denied sale.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 6, 2016, 02:47 PM

8. This sounds similar to...

...the process for investigation for a security clearance. The investigating activity will check with other agencies granting clearances. A clearance denial by another agency will prompt further investigation and likely lead to a denial.

Sounds like a good idea.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 6, 2016, 04:43 PM

9. I doubt it will get much traction, honestly.

Too much liability.

Say this app has a total 5000 entries from coast to coast. What's a dealer supposed to do? Go and read every individual post prior to making a sale? What if someone is identified within a post from three years ago on the other side of the country and the dealer misses it? Potential civil liability.

Yes, I read the article about driving distance but it did not specify if FFLs will have access to every post. I don't have an issue with FFLs sharing info, but I'm not sure what kind of advice dealers will get from their attorneys.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread