HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » ATF suspends proposed pis...

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 01:08 AM

ATF suspends proposed pistol brace guidance

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/general-notice/sb-criteria-withdrawal-notice-12-23-20pdf

Good news.

16 replies, 2557 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply ATF suspends proposed pistol brace guidance (Original post)
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 OP
mitch96 Dec 2020 #1
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 #4
mitch96 Dec 2020 #6
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 #8
mitch96 Dec 2020 #10
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 #11
mitch96 Dec 2020 #12
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 #13
mitch96 Dec 2020 #14
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 #15
Paladin Dec 2020 #16
mitch96 Dec 2020 #2
krispos42 Dec 2020 #3
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 #5
krispos42 Dec 2020 #7
Dial H For Hero Dec 2020 #9

Response to Dial H For Hero (Original post)

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 10:22 AM

1. How is this good? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mitch96 (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 07:52 PM

4. Because there's no reason for the millions of people who own braces to be forced to destroy

them, turn them in, or register them under the NFA.

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 08:23 PM

6. But does that not go around the SBR rule?

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 10:37 PM

8. Pistol braces, while not SBR's as such, do give one about 90% of the functionality of an SBR.

That's why they're so popular. Heck, it's why I bought mine....it gives me a pseudo-SBR without the expense ($200 tax stamp) and the paperwork (current wait time for approval: 7 months or so).

My pistol:

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:42 AM

10. Ok, brace makes it a short butt stock.This begs the question why do you need a SBR???

Stick it under your trench coat so Boris and Natasha don't see it?
m

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #10)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:33 AM

11. It's not concealable in any practical sense. It's more than twice the length and 1 1/2 times the

weight of a Desert Eagle, which is a monster of a handgun.

As for why...handier, lighter than a full sized rifle. There's a reason carbines have always been popular. The same applies here, but more so.

There is the "cool" factor as well. This is certainly a factor in sales for many products, and firearms are no different.

In any case reagarding "needing" an SBR: Why should I have to justify owning an AR-15 with a 10" barrel any more than I would one with a 16" barrel?

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #11)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:39 AM

12. I don't get it... I understand the "cool" factor buy why break the law to be "cool"??

I've shot a 454 casull revolver once before and yes it's a lump.... And it's what you need in bear country. For my money a fire arm is a tool... Right tool for the right job. The job of a SBR is hidden death plain and simple. I'll take my standard length rifle any day... YMMV
m

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #12)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:57 AM

13. Pistol braces are perfectly legal. Owning one doesn't break the law.

As for being "hidden death", I've already pointed out that they're not concealable in any meaningingful way. But in any case, a snubnosed revolver could arguably be characterized as "hidden death". Should that be outlawed?

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #13)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 12:35 PM

14. I thought we were discussing the merits of SBR brace? Hand guns are a whole different animal

I't obvious we have different ideas on the matter and I'm tired of going down that road with my RWNJ friends so I'm done here...
Have a happy holiday...
m

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #14)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 12:03 AM

15. An "SBR brace" is a contradiction in terms. Braces are only used on handguns.

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 10:39 AM

16. Yeah, but oooo Jeezuz, it sure SOUNDS cool! (nt)

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 01:09 PM

3. It doesn't say much

I know that the past few years have seen the rise of the "pistol" AR-15. Pistol-length barrel and no buttstock. I guess somebody figured out how to make the mechanism work without needing that recoil spring that's in the buttstock.

The issue now is "arm braces" for pistol AR-15s. They fold up against the receiver, but they are designed to be strapped to the forearm of the shooting hand instead of used as a buttstock. However, of course it can be used as sort of a buttstock.

If the pistol had a buttstock, it would be defined legally as a "short barreled rifle" and would be subject to the same legal requirements as a machine gun or a silencer. But by having a brace... It's a pistol.

I'm guessing this request for comment was related to this issue.

Reply to this post

Response to krispos42 (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 08:20 PM

5. Actually, AR pistol braces still have buffer tubes, just as an AR stock does. They don't fold,

they collapse in the same manner a collapsing AR stock. Some pistol braces for other weapons systems such as AK's and CZ Scorpions do fold.

Pistol braces, along with 80% finished receivers, and the two latest targets of gun control groups.

Reply to this post

Response to Dial H For Hero (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 08:43 PM

7. I must have been thinking of another "pistol" type of thing

It occurred to me later that I might have been in error. I seem to recall reading in a gun magazine about an AR-15 pistol that had a tapered housing with a spherical end for the spring... or buffer tube, I guess it's called. I've never taken apart an AR-15 and don't really have an interest in getting one so I'm not well-versed on the technical details.

Ruger recently released a 9mm pistol that's designed from the start to have a brace attached to it, so it has a separate magazine well and a long barrel. I think I was thinking of that gun.

https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCharger/models.html

The article in the gun magazine evaluated the PC Charger with a particular brand of "arm brace". The way the writer discussed it, with a wink and a nod, it was pretty obvious it was going to be used as a buttstock. Something about "incidental" contact with the shoulder.

Reply to this post

Response to krispos42 (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 24, 2020, 10:53 PM

9. I'll freely admit that the only reason pistol braces are so popular is that they are, for practical

purposes, SBR's. Legally, though, they're just handguns.

Toying with the idea of getting this pistol (CZ Scorpion EVO3 S1):

Were I to get a true Scorpion SBR it would look like this:

Is that difference worth $200 extra and a 7 month wait? Most people would say "no".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread