HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Supreme Court agrees to t...

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 09:57 AM

Supreme Court agrees to take up major Second Amendment case

Supreme Court agrees to take up major Second Amendment case

(CNN)The Supreme Court announced Monday it will consider the scope of the Second Amendment next term in a case concerning a New York law that restricts an individual from carrying a concealed handgun in public.

It has been more than a decade since the justices have ruled on significant case concerning the right to bear arms, and it comes in the wake of several mass shootings and the Biden administration's push for enhanced gun regulations.

The court's move highlights the impact of Justice Amy Coney Barrett's presence on the newly solidified conservative court. Justice Clarence Thomas and others had been urging the justices to take up the issue, and just last term, the court declined several cases.

This story is breaking and will be updated

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/26/politics/supreme-court-second-amendment-case/index.html

6 replies, 1185 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Supreme Court agrees to take up major Second Amendment case (Original post)
sarisataka Apr 26 OP
Paladin Apr 26 #1
sarisataka Apr 26 #2
beemerphill Apr 26 #3
yagotme Apr 27 #4
discntnt_irny_srcsm Apr 27 #5
yagotme Apr 27 #6

Response to sarisataka (Original post)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 10:39 AM

1. Far-right justices fixing to do you gun rights people another favor. (nt)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Paladin (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 11:22 AM

2. In my opinion

Guns don't have rights, people do. One is those rights is the Right to be armed for whatever legal purpose a person wants.

With rights come responsibilities. As with all rights, it is not unlimited. In order to keep arms it is reasonable to have to pass a background check to confirm the purchaser is not a danger. Bearing arms is a greater exercise of the right so it is reasonable to have further requirements. I see showing the ability to safely handle a firearm and a demonstration of proficiency fits with the "well regulated" language.

Hasn't it been the control side that has been pushing to get the issue to the courts?

Reply to this post

Response to sarisataka (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 04:55 PM

3. Great Post

satisataka,
Your post sums up what many of us RKBA supporters have been hoping for a long time. A free citizen in our country should be able to exercise their right to bear arms. Most of us who do would have no problem proving our proficiency, knowledge of self-defense laws in our states, and following the law when carrying. The background check would be fine too IF a private citizen had the ability to check with the government about a prospective buyer's or seller's record before selling or buying a firearm.
Many on the gun control bandwagon assume that there is no middle ground in this discussion. There actually is. Those of us who believe in the Second Amendment are fearful that if we compromise this much, more demands will be made of us.
Thanks for the great post.

Reply to this post

Response to beemerphill (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 11:53 AM

4. That's the problem with compromise,

the ones wanting to ban guns never "give up" anything, they just take what they can get, and ask for more next time. "Machine guns" have been "banned" (heavily regulated) since 1934. Watched a PBS show the other day about an attack, and the witness was asked, "What kind of gun was used?" Of course, it was an AR-15 machine gun. In 9mm.

Reply to this post

Response to yagotme (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 12:33 PM

5. About 5% of what I read from the "control" side...

...makes me think that there should be...
...well never mind.

Reply to this post

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #5)

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 12:36 PM

6. That's OK discntnt...

I never mind anyway...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread