HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Veterans (Group) » VA says it won't stop use...

Fri May 15, 2020, 11:34 PM

VA says it won't stop use of unproven drug on vets for now

Source: Associated Press

VA says it won’t stop use of unproven drug on vets for now

By HOPE YEN
May 14, 2020

WASHINGTON (AP) — Facing growing criticism, the Department of Veterans Affairs said Friday that it will not halt use of an unproven malaria drug on veterans with COVID-19 but that fewer of its patients are now taking it.

In responses provided to Congress and obtained by The Associated Press, the VA said it never “encouraged or discouraged” its government-run hospitals to use hydroxychloroquine on patients even as President Donald Trump heavily promoted the drug for months without scientific evidence of its effectiveness.

Still, it acknowledged that VA Secretary Robert Wilkie had wrongly asserted publicly without evidence that the drug had been shown to benefit younger veterans. The VA, the nation’s largest hospital system, also agreed more study was needed on the drug and suggested its use was now limited to extenuating circumstances, such as last-ditch efforts to save a coronavirus patient’s life.

In the first week of May, 17 patients had received the drug for COVID-19, according to VA data obtained by the AP. The department declined to say how many patients had been treated with hydroxychloroquine for the coronavirus since January, but a recent analysis of VA hospital data showed that hundreds of veterans had taken it by early April.

-snip-

Responding to written questions from Sen. Jon Tester, the top Democrat on the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, the department admitted it had no studies or evidence to back up Wilkie’s claim that hydroxychloroquine had shown effectiveness in younger veterans in particular.

-snip-

Read more: https://apnews.com/2edd19decf58ed921d9b7ba9f6a2b44e

5 replies, 1138 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply VA says it won't stop use of unproven drug on vets for now (Original post)
Eugene May 2020 OP
bullimiami May 2020 #1
CentralMass May 2020 #2
marble falls May 2020 #3
notdarkyet May 2020 #4
choie May 2020 #5

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Fri May 15, 2020, 11:38 PM

1. Are they fucking doctors or quacks. The shit does nothing for Covid

And causes heart problems.
WTF???

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 16, 2020, 12:06 AM

2. There must be some big kickbacks happening.

Reply to this post

Sat May 16, 2020, 01:03 AM

3. I'm a vet. Its already been proven no to work. If I get it, I will be taken to Temple VA. I will ...

refuse it if foisted on me. In eight years of constant treatment for cancer at VA I have never refused a treatment or ever had a reason to complain.

There is no doubt in my mind this "experiment" is an exercise in Donald Trump's desperate attempt to extricate himself from his disastrous Covid19 debacle with magic thinking.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #3)

Sat May 16, 2020, 01:50 AM

4. He's a major stockholder. Bought a bunch a few weeks in and started peddling

It at his pressers. He wants to make a killing off the virus and with trillion dollar gifts from congress who knows how much he’s taken. Probably behind the stolen masks and it trying to be in charge of the vaccine.

Reply to this post

Sat May 16, 2020, 02:33 AM

5. Every goddamn sector of this government

has been poisoned by this orange menace..

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread